Going insane with portforwarding

elmattador

Here's the deal guys. I finally switched to utorrent last night from bittornado. The little icon at the bottom was constantly yellow, so I forwarded the ports in my WRT54g v8. I did it correctly, I swear- I actually have a tiny clue what I'm doing(tho it is tiny). I have a static IP(192.168.1.101) for my home network. I set the port as 15740. I made sure the correct IP is allowed in peer guardian. I know I did it right because when I started, the icon in the utorrent tray was the green check mark, and this made me happy.

Thing is, it intermittently goes out. Like, sometimes the icon goes back to yellow exclamation point, and it says the port isn't open. Then sometimes it goes back green and it is open. What I've noticed is if I check the port several times in a row, it will go closed, open, closed, open, etc, until I scream.

Any help is appreciated.

If it matters, I'm using the new version of utorrent, XP with all the SPs.

matt

Yellow doesn't necessarily mean it's closed again.. unless the router decided to futz with it. Are you sure you changed the default DHCP range for that WRT to NOT include 101? If it's in the DHCP range, it's presumable that whenever it does, the router would reset connections for the DHCP clients...

As long as the icon doesn't go red though, and you still see "I" peers on the Peers tab, you should be good to go.

Check it out. You know how you can click in the program to check if the port is open? If you do that, it will take me to a page where I pretty much have a 50/50 chance of it saying its open of closed. If I hit refresh a bunch, eventually I'll get the opposite. Is this ok?

Yes, I'm retarded. My apologies.

Archived