Speed caps at 50kbps

soma

Hello,

Normally my download speed is at 600kbps. Over the last few days however my total download speed never equals nor goes over 50kbps. When I look at the peers im downloading from, I notice those giving me the highest download speeds are all capped at a specific speed. For example, if im downloading from 20 different peers, my top (fastest download speed) peers will all be capped at the same speed.

If im downloading 1 torrent and it is well seeded, my download speed will be no higher than 50. However if i download 2 torrents, the speed will decrease to 25kbps. This pattern continues, bottom line is that my total download speed never is higher than 50kbps.

My upload limit is 47kbps, and my downloading is not limited according to utorrent.

Any help will be appreciated!

Are you from the UK?

Either way, there are a lot of ISP's who cap people's download limits under some circumstances. Here in the UK, it's called "Traffic Shaping" or "Fair Usage Policy" and basically if you download too much during a specific time, they will lower your speed for a while. It's really unfair, but there is very little anyone can do about it.

Something you could do to check, is to go to Microsoft.com and download some of their game demos, and see how fast they come. They won't be using Bit Torrent, they are just normal downloads, so you can see if it's your connection, or if it's something to do with your Bit Torrent set up. If the demos come slow (try at least a few to make sure), then you are most likely being "capped" by your ISP.

Usually the caps only happen during the day, and are usually relaxed at about midnight, so if you could try it then you might see if the speed changes. Each ISP has their own policy though. If you are in the UK, I suggest you make a fuss about it everywhere you go. Half the people will shout at you and call you a whiner and tell you to just put up with it and stop being a drama queen, the other half will agree with you that it's not right. I just like the idea that people are making a fuss, because it sends the signal that it's not acceptable.

ahHhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! My speed is now capped at 10KBPS on utorrent! Robots, i do not live in the UK, my ISP is bellsouth and i live in Miami, South Florida USA. Microsoft downloads go at a robost 400kbps. Are the P2P police after me?

Again, the same problem. My top peers are all giving me download speeds at less than 1kbps. They add up to give me a measly 10kbps. :(

Switeck, thanks for the help and the links thus far.

I just performed an ISP throttling test from glasnost. It concluded that my ISP does NOT limit traffic on the bittorrent ports 6881 and 10009. Also, TCP traffic on port 6881 was reported as not limited. Is glasnost a reliable test for throttling?

I guess this is good news, because i was convinced that i was being throttled the before test. But, the problem still remains, im only downloading at 10kbps. Btw, my uploading rate is not limited at all, im uploading up to 50kbps.

Could it be a router problem? I have a linkys WRT54G model. I updated the firmware for it, as was instructed in the sticky thread. Though, i had no problems with download speed a week ago (before the current problem) without the update.

The open office torrent is downloading at 10kpbs...

According to glasnost my top bittorent download speed is 1102 Kbps, and my top upload speed is 400kbps. So, i choose the speed guide option that was closest to that, 186kbps. Again, up until a week ago i was downloading up to 600kbps!

After rebooting the router and modem,choosing xx384/k as the speed limit, and stopping all other torrents, the open office torrent is still only downloading at 10kB/s.

Any recommendations what i should try to do next? Would reinstalling utorrent make a difference?

EDIT:

Resolved. Somehow, my settings in global bandwidth limiting in downloading were changed from 0 (unlimited) to 50kB/s, and than finally to 10kB/s. Any idea on how this happened?

Thanks for all your help, i did learn a lot in the process. Sorry for wasting your time !

Archived