Stopping a torrent before a complete download penalty

FrancO

Yes, but my question is: If I decide not to finish downloading something (shortly after I start for example) and my ratio is low like .020 is my standing hurt with the tracker. I already know the fact you stated Demon Boy. That was not my question. Pretty simple ;)

Thank you for your replies, but what I really was meant a scenario in which I stopped it and did not wish to continue downloading at all. I completely understand the whole ratio situation, I was just interested if anyone knew if there was an exception for such a low ratio that it was obvious that a person did not even download the file completely. Thanks anyway.

Hehe sorry, got a bit cheeky there, but hey that's why they called me the Demon-boy.

I don't think any private trackers have anything like that built-in, but unless the mods are totally evil, I doubt they'd ban someone for a few megs. What I really meant (without the wise-assery this time) was to limit your DL to 1 and up as fast as you can to get your ratio back to 1, just to be on the safe side. And of course on public trackers, it doesn't really matter, unless you just want to be a nice guy.

First off, it's not usually as simple as "uploading to 1.0" on trackers where everybody is trying to do that! It's almost as difficult to get a 1.0 ratio on some BT sites as it is to get topsite creds :P

Some BT trackers have very wary uploaders who watch the completed list and will report anyone with suspicious activity - ie. they've seeded more than 1.5 full copies and still no other seeds - they will look at the completed list, see your username and know you "hit and ran" - left them as the only seed - and that will get you warned or even banned if your ratio is shite, quite often.

But overall the most important thing is your overall ratio. Most sites won't really care if you get a 0.005 ratio on one torrent (unless you hit and run when there is still only one or two seeds) as long as your overall ratio is decent. So if you downloaded 500MiB of a 700MiB file, uploading 50MiB, then cancelled, you simply get 500MiB added to your total download, 50MiB to your total upload, and your ratio is calculated from that..

As an adsl user, sometimes I can't finish my dl before all seeds gone, I will stop uploading since it's a incomplete dl.

public tracker? You must be jumping on the torrent really late.

Archived