Guide to reading logger output log

FUBARinSFO

No message in particular -- all messages, say, with peer traffic or any other. 'Connecting: source: T', for instance, where it may be 'T' or 'TI'. And it seems strange to me that traffic with the tracker itself does not appear on the peer log.

Is there no guide for utorrent's logger tab, other that researching the whole of bt itself as your link does?

Indeed, nothing laid out like the manual specifically for the Logger tab. I guess if you wanted you could dump the strings for the utorrent.exe to find out ALL the strings there.. but you'd have to sift them out of the garbage for Windows controls, binary junk, etc. Are you confused about what they mean? If you give a specific example I'm sure someone would help explain it adequately.

Something I'm confused by is how come not every incoming connection shows up in logger?

I'm seeing no connecting line sometimes...but the next line will have a "Encrypted handshake completed" on it for an ip that isn't immediately mentioned above.

I'm seeing all kinds of disconnects:

Disconnect: Connection closed

Disconnect: Is seed

Disconnect: Incoming legacy not allowed

Disconnect: Timed out

Disconnect: Peer error: offline (timed out)

Disconnect: Peer error: Error 10048 (very rare)

Disconnect: Peer error: Error 10054 (EXTREMELY common, I'm pretty sure this is reset by peer)

Disconnect: Peer error: Error 10061 (somewhat rare)

I believe there's other error numbers, but I have no clue what any of the others mean. :(

Switeck : Thanks for posting that. I'm in the process of parsing the log output so I can filter for specific IP addresses (can't do that with the Logger). Can't filter input/logging by ip either, so can't follow a single thread, for example. When I get something specific I'll add it back here to this thread.

I copy and paste logger's results into notepad/wordpad, or just let logger auto-save to a txt file.

I either run sort on the text file or use notepad/wordpad's search function to locate ips.

Because the date/time is in a fixed length format (padded with zeros), I can tell SORT to start sorting based on the ~15-20th character instead of sorting from the first char. :)

10048 is port in use I believe, or variation thereof. Peculiar error to be having that far down....

10054 connection forcibly closed by peer

10061 is connection refused by peer

These are just winsock error codes we've never translated, and ones windows doesn't want to give us a string for. Definitely something I will think about some more...

As for the incoming connections, I believe they still should be showing up - I'll look into it a bit more.

10048 errrors were probably occurring because I'd set my outgoing port the same as my incoming port for awhile...and various BitTorrent clients would try to make incoming connections to me when I was already connected to them.

For me, 10054 = connection forcibly closed by ComCast!

It's very hard for me to spot when an incoming connection is missing...and it's rare. It's not something I can word search for on old log files either. :(

Switek said:

10048 errrors were probably occurring because I'd set my outgoing port the same as my incoming port for awhile

Are there two ports to set in utorrent? I thought there was only one, which as I understand it is the incoming port. Outgoing are random in a range.

Yes, I was experimenting.

I'm on ComCast, so I was testing to see if I could partially overcome their BitTorrent disruption techniques by doing...unusual and unnatural things with uTorrent.

...Like making my outgoing port the same as incoming. :P

If anything, that made disruption noticeably worse...but that's good to know too.

Normally, the outgoing port uTorrent uses for a given connection is in the ephemeral port range (~1024 to ~5000)...these same ports are particularly heavily used while web surfing.

The port number starts "low" (at ~1024) and counts upwards, then restarts at bottom when it reaches the top.

TCP View shows that nicely. :)

Sadly, putting in ANY outgoing port changes the cycling of ports into using 1 fixed outgoing port. If an outgoing port range is set, only the 1st port will be used UNLESS multiple attempts are made to the same ip...then extra ports are used only for that ip.

So there's actually 3 ports...incoming, outgoing, and max outgoing port. (...Where outgoing to max outgoing port are actually a port range.)

Archived