Upload speed maxes at 10kB/s with v1.8 on XP

l2k

I used to use 1.7.7 and didn't have this problem. My max upload speed is 64kB/s. When I run speedtest or upload via another program I can get speeds around 40-60kB/s usually. However uTorrent maxes around 10kB/s.

I have no firewall on. As far as I can see there is no limit set in the configuration (it's at 0). I use NetLimiter 2 but I have placed no limits and even given uTorrent a large grant and it doesn't use it. I have no shortage of people trying to leech from me.

Any suggestions to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

PS - The GUI in your Connection tab has a minor glitch, one of the checkbox labels (the NAT-PMP one) extends over the edge of the checkbox beside it.

I was first trying to see if ISP affects downloading, which is generally a sign that they muck with uploads as well. Switeck knows about the uploading mucking all too well. Your best bet is trying some of the changes to your upload and per-torrent settings (from the default Speed Guide values) from #2 in the signature. You should also follow the steps in #1, post 3 for turning off the "noisy" features of uTorrent. If the ISP mucks with upload, it should become less apparent after those changes are made, either individually or together.

Any idea what settings I should change to try and get around my ISP's limiting?

I have Shaw ISP from Canada. I checked the page about ISPs limiting but couldn't get much information on how to bypass it from there. :S

#1 in Switek's signature is http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 , I'm sorry I was incorrect post #2 is http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=258231#p258231 and mentions settings you can turn off to see if the ISP mucking lessens. . .

Additionally go down the list, to see what helps. To see if you can get better sustained speeds, you should try seeding something in-demand which you already have seeding and let it run for at least 5 minutes. Then make note of the average upload speed (Speed tab, change drop down to Upload, and look at the max sustained upload you have.) ALSO do you notice any oddities with the upload graph... Then make changes and repeat testing :( Unfortunately when the ISP doesn't know/won't tell you/can't control their lines (cases where resellers were hit up there from Bell shaping come to mind) it is up to the user through research to find out what works.

Update:

- I ran the that test and it concluded my ISP doesn't throttle my BitTorrent client. It reported upload speeds around 20kB/s while uTorrent seems trapped at 10kB/s.

- I changed the settings as described in the link and no difference.

Disable some of the extra features in uTorrent...to make it slightly harder to detect:

DHT, Local Peer Discovery, UPnP, and Resolve IPs.

(Leave Peer Exchange enabled for now.)

Set outgoing encryption to Forced...and see if enabling/disabling incoming legacy (unencrypted) connections seems better/worse.

Test half open connection limit set to 8, 4, 1, and even 0 if you're not firewalled.

NOTE: While set to 0, uTorrent quits making new connections. Sometimes incoming connections still arrive, so you CAN get new connections but that slows down to 0 as well after a few hours/days.

My best results seem to be when half open is set to 1.

Yes there is.

2nd link in my signature gives suggested settings for uTorrent based on your max sustainable UPLOAD speed.

NOTE: Max sustainable UPLOAD speed is nowhere near max download speed for almost every internet connection in existence.

You may want to use lower settings than your connection can handle because it is shared with others or due to monthly bandwidth quotas.

It was up to 20kB/s for about 30 minutes now I'm back at 10kB/s. :(

- I've removed my router.

- I've disabled all other programs.

- I ran the test to see if my ISP was blocking BitTorrent traffic -- it said no.

- My speed settings are correct.

- I've toyed with all the bittorent & advanced settings.

Something changed between 1.7.7 and 1.8. :(

Is there a way to change back to 1.7.7 without losing everything set up?

Archived