uTorrent banning my own IP address.

butcherboys

I've noticed since upgrading to uTorrent version 1.8 that when I reset bans it shows my own internal IP address in the logger like this: "unbanned 192.168.1.104:xxxxx" and "unbanned 192.168.1.1:xxxxx". The xxx's on the 192.168.1.104 address is the port I have set for forwarding in my router and in uTorrent. The port on the 192.168.1.1 I'm not sure where this is coming from.

I've tried both the Stable and Beta version up to Build 12183 but it happens in all of them. After I clear the bans my transfer speed will increase dramatically (from 6 kB/s to over 100 kB/s). After several seconds (maybe 10-15) the transfer speeds drop down to about 6-7 kB/s until I reset the bans again. The amount of Seeds and Peers I'm connected to doesn't seem to change either way when I reset the bans.

I searched the forum and only came up with a couple topics with this issue but didn't seem to be resolved. They were over a year old so I thought I'd create my own topic instead of bumping a dead one. Hope that's okay. I read the FAQ also but didn't really see anything about this in there. If I missed it I'm sorry.

Any insight to this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. If anyone needs any more specifics please just ask and I'll post them. I posted everything I could think of that may be of some use in determining the issue.

I'm running:

Windows XP Pro SP3 (Windows firewall is enabled)

NAV 2008

Linksys WRT300N Wireless Router (with the current firmware)

uTorrent Beta 1.8.1 (Build 12183)

I checked my firewall and router settings and everything seems to be okay. I've been using the same router firmware I was with uTorrent 1.7 and didn't seem to have this issue. Only since upgrading to uTorrent 1.8 have I noticed this.

One thing I'm not sure about in the uTorrent settings though. I've always had the "Enable UPnP port mapping" unticked. But the "Enable NAT-PMP port mapping" is ticked and I really don't remember this from 1.7.

Thanks for the reply.

thelittlefire: Not sure what you are telling me. Is there a "fix" for it or some suggestion on how to work around this error?

Ummm, I just checked my C:\Program Files\uTorrent folder in search of said settings.dat and the only thing in there is the uTorrent.exe. Shouldn't there be a couple other files?

It's not an error. It's how things work. Settings.dat (and the other .DAT files) are not with uTorrent.exe by default. You should find them @ http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Where_are_the_settings_and_.torrent_files_stored.3F

Also apologies for before, the message you see in the Logger tab (with Verbose > show disconnect messages enabled) reads as above.

• 2 months later...

I don't think anyone has actually answered butcherboys original question.

I get the same problem as well on two different computers at two different locations using two different modems.

My own IP is banned and I can't get any reasonable download speeds until I have reset the ban, but it only lasts for a few minutes before I have to reset again.

I am running version 1.8.1 and I didn't have any problems with version 1.7 despite what's been said in a previous post.

There must surely be some solution to preventing the ban of your own IP?

uTorrent auto-bans your IP on the (usually) first attempt to connect, 1) because it's you and stupid to connect to yourself and 2) I THINK it's based upon peerid. There were problems when testing 1.8 from a "cloned" settings.dat so both peers on disparate VMs thought they were the same one and therefore didn't transfer without your fix.

Only because of a configuration error should ANY connections appear to be from your IP, hence... the problem cannot be worked around.

Archived