High CPU load

omikjam

@ebricca: Please do not go around to every thread recommending the same bad advice. And please read the thread before recommending said advice. In here, people said it happens to them on 0.9.0.3 already. So theres no point in downgrading to it.

Also, there were three threads dealing with the same issue. I've merged them as such.

oops .. I'm sorry to have cross-posted ..

I just thought to point them to one point so everybody would just read one thread ..

I have to admit it also happened to me in 0.9.0.3 with DHT enabled -- though it took considerably longer (about 2 hours) .. so it seems as it existed in this version - just didn't surface.

(I though have to admit I used the old prefs from 9.0.4 didn't zap them first)

with DHT disabled it's running OK now for over 5 hours (didn't zap old prefs)

.. hope it stays that way

thanks a lot for the efforts of the team .. to have brought over a great app to the mac platform

..... :)

Hi all,

I had the same problem mentioned with utorrent 0.9.0.4 on my macbook. However did anybody noticed the following?

I know that in mac progress bars took a lot of ram and CPU to upload continuously (from a video processing program). So I thought the same thing might happen and just minimized my utorrent. For about 5 minutes, it was still very high however after that guess what happened? CPU usage = 4%, ram = 32 MB. That is all.

I have DHT enabled from the start and didn't close it ever. Most probably this was not the case and this is not a solution, however maybe if more people can try it, at least it might be a work around.

Btw, thanks zillions of times for the developers of utorrent for releasing a mac version. It was one of the most important things that I was missing when turned to mac after windows.

Edit: Just don't care my solution, while it was minimized it happened again :)

However the weird thing is that it passes away with time. (Goes to normal after some time passes)

Mac OS X 10.5.6

2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo

2 GB RAM

I have the same (or should I say similar?) problem. uTorrent overloads my CPU, which is quite uncomfortable for various reasons:

a) fan speed - with such a high load on the CPU the fans go upwards to 4.5k rpm, which makes my compy damn noisy, and since I like to leave it on for seeding overnight, this is quite an issue.

B) potential battery life - if I want to take my compy with me somewhere and continue up/downloading on a wifi network, the high CPU load lowers the battery time from 3,5 - 4 hours of juice to just under 50 minutes or less. Again, a big issue.

c) this is more of a poke at the developers than anything else: isn't uTorrent supposed to have a small footprint?

This problem first surfaced while I was using 0.9.0.3 or 0.9.0.2 and Mac OS X 10.5.5., and I didn't mention it here because it happened just once and a restart of uT solved it, but now, with the latest system and latest uT build, it happens more and more often!

A restart doesn't solve the problem for me at all, it starts hogging the CPU again immediately if restart it!

cbiw

nisr

From time to time the load lessens, it seems that uT overloads the CPU on a whim when it feels like it...please put high priority on solving this issue!

Hi

I have the same problem but I think i got solution. I am running the version 0.9.0.4 and it starts to load the CPU after seeding. I tried to disable the seeding ratio limit and the uTorrent works correctly.

I think there is a problem with ratio counting because the number of ratio ot the bottom of the window is still rising and after few minutes I have ratio about 200 :) (and I am not so good seed)

* Sory for my english, I am still learning.

Mac OS X 10.5.6

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Memory: 2 GB

Same here. "Old" releases worked fine.

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"

Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Mac Os X 10.5.6

+1

after removing the preferences folder and editing preferences one by one within a gap of say an hour per go with no spike in cpu usage, i'd think the "clean" install did the trick

...only to be waken up by the loud fan noise in the morning when it spikes up to 1xx% cpu usage ._x

Mac OS X 10.5.6

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1

Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

I may have misunderstood, but in one of the developer's post I read that the next version will be 0.9.1 :) That's a big update I think :D

As for 100%CPU. Same in 0.9.0.4

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07

SMC Version: 1.16f8

I've been having high CPU loads show up fairly frequently now. Usually, a restart of uTorrent will fix it, but now that is iffy.

Mac OS X: 10.5.6

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07

SMC Version: 1.16f8

*EDIT*

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but Andrew does mention something I've noticed. That is, the seeding ratio limit doesn't work very well- I've set mine at 5 and I have a number of files still going beyond that and icon in the lower right hand corner shows me at something like 300

Same problem here

uTorrent 0.9.0.4 (build 13906)

Mac OSX 10.5.5

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"

Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08

General behaviour as described by others above. Things will be fine for a while after initial loading but at some point CPU usage will rise to ~100% where it will remain until I quit and restart the application.

Have just tried disabling DHT to see if this offers a temporary fix to the issue.

Update - have been running for the past 96 hours without incident now that I have disabled DHT. Looking forward to the fix in the next update so that I can re-enable that feature again.

Same problem here.

v 0.9.0.4

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B00

SMC Version: 1.27f1

Serial Number: W88090XXXX

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

After a while the CPU goes very high and Virtual Memory is about 1GB.

I have just hurned off DHT and restarted to see if that makes a difference.

I haven't had this problem at all. My computer runs pretty much normal with utorrent (except long stopping and shutdown times of the app).

I have a 2.33ghz macbook pro, with 4GB (3.2 GB usable) ram. (all the other specs not writing, they are all the same).

My seed ratio: 1.5

What about adjusting your global peer limits?

I have mine at :

global limit: 160

per torrent limit: 60

DHT + peer exchange: both checked

active transfers: 6

active downloads: 5

encryption: active

• 4 weeks later...

Archived