Disk Cache Not Being Written? Disk Overloaded 100%

TheCloudlessSky

Hello,

I've been using utorrent for a while now with no issues. My max download speed is around 620kB/s which is nice to download a lot at once. I've been downloading with utorrent for about 2 years now. I have a 250 GB partition (from a WD Caviar SE hdd) that I use for downloading to. The drive is about 80% full right now. Since about a week ago I've been noticing that utorrent will stop downloading for a little while, my computer will lock up and then it'll go back to normal. If I monitor the speed you can see it go up and up to the 620 kB/s and then drop. Then I found out there was a "Disk Overloaded 100%" message down at the bottom. Then I watched the following:

utorrentup4.th.jpg

It's very interesting to see that the Disk Cache DOESN'T get written to the partition. The cache keeps increasing and increasing until it hits the 32 MB and then this is when the disk overloaded 100% error comes up.

If there is anything else I can provide to aid I will do so! If someone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TCS

i was having the same problem, luckily i got help here and for the most part got it figured out. i still get the disk overload if i am trying to download LARGE files or many larger files at once, due to the fact it is preallocating the files on the hard drive and it just takes time. i am not sure what your settings are, but this is what i have mine at and has helped significantly:

under preferences, go to Advanced/Disk Cache

Override automatic cache size - set to 64 MB, or play around with the numbers

reduce memory usage

all boxes for enable caching of disk writes

all boxes for enable caching of disk reads except increase automatic

disable windows caching of disk writes

and make sure that after you set those, you exit and restart utorrent. hope that helps!

When you get the Disk Overloaded message, are you usually running torrents with 2-4 MB piece size?

uTorrent doesn't want to write to disk until it gets completed pieces, then writes the complete piece all at once. But if you've only got 32 MB ram cache and 10 pieces that are 90+% complete (over 3 MB each)...the ram cache could already be full, triggering a Disk Overloaded message.

2nd link in my signature ironically could help some. It will tend to get more speed from a few peers instead of typically much lower speeds from slightly more peers. Which should mean pieces complete faster instead of getting stuck at >60% done.

DreadWingKnight - I've set the cache to 64MB and all the settings you recommended and it's still failing at the same place. Also what should the settings be for the transfer mode of the IDE channel?

Switeck - As stated above I upped the cache and it STILL fails... should I try increasing it further?

I've NEVER had this problem before last week. I tried defragging my harddrive with Contig and it went and defragged the whole thing. It just really doesn't make any sense since I was able to download at this rate just last week. I never had any problems like this. EventViewer doesn't display any disk warnings or errors. My whole computer just comes to a halt when it tries to write the cache to the disk.

I also have a similar problem with disk overload and my system hanging. I also checked my event viewer and found that at the same instance i was getting paging file errors on my main hard drive, even though i am downloading to a separate drive. Please help someone, i have just switched to utorrent and dont want to have to switch again!

Ok check out this image. Switeck you may be onto something. It seems as though the pieces aren't being written to the harddrive after they're completed... they're just staying in the cache. This only happens after a while. I monitored it for a bit and the cache was properly being cleared and writing the pieces to the disk. But then I started another torrent with 256kB pieces and then the following happened:

utorrent2ef0.th.jpg

Could this be something wrong with the physical disk?

I am having the same problem. I currently have my cache set to 2GB and none of it is writing to disk. I do not believe it is a HD error because utorrent is the only program affected on my pc.

I am sure it has something to do with Utorrent or Windows and the way cached data is written to onto disk from Utorrent.

P.S.This problem only started for me when I upgraded to Windows 7

Uncheck:

2.Reduce Memory usage

4.Write out untouched blocks

7.Turn off read caching

8.Remove Old block from cache

10.Disable Windows caching of disk writes

Also test with Windows caching of disk writes and read BOTH enabled and disabled.

If you can, test that also with a MUCH larger disk cache ram size...like 400-1000 MB.

Ok so I unchecked all of those settings. Then I started to download the newest episode of The Office since it wasn't already in my utorrent queue. I stopped all other downloads and downloaded it. It went perfectly fine... the cache was being properly written to disk even at my max of 620kB/s... until 99.9% where it almost FROZE and then about 5 minutes later.. it completed. So I thought I'd continue with the other downloads since this seemed to have fixed it... but alas the other downloads did the same OLD thing where the cache would keep building and building... and then it would drop the speeds back down.

Could this maybe be to piece size difference? How can I tell the difference between The Office episode that has completed and one that is still in progress (for this one I just check the pieces tab obviously)?

Each torrent has info in the General tab.

Also, antivirus, antispyware, media/file indexers could be part of the cause of your problem...they INSIST on reading everything uTorrent is writing to disk, vastly delaying what should be a relatively quick disk write.

So...what antivirus, antispyware, media/file indexers are you using?

(Process Explorer + uTorrent's DLL list might be helpful at this point.)

I've already turned my AV off (McAfee 8.5i Enterprise) since this initially started happening. I also used process explorer to monitor utorrent... I only noticed the memory increasing as the cache was increasing.

I'm starting to think the drive is bad since I've seen many "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation." (the D partition is the one I'm downloading to) warnings in event viewer... I just don't want to have to get the drive replaced since it also holds my windows partition... and *ugh*... this is causing so many issues...

I have the solution ... update your serial ata controllers or whatever. I had the same problem after a format and reinstallation of Vista. Before i had no problem at all. But now it works fine after windows update gave me 3 important updates. I was about to give up when windows update came and helped me :) Look at the image and see the updates that was made today. It helped me and the disk overload disappeared. Look at the picture and see the updates that where made.

losnigennnndh0.th.jpg

Hmm i might have been a little fast with the post here. The Disk overload still comes in the early stage of the downloads and freezes the download sometimes. But it DOES continue after that and disk overload disappears. Still this is better then not beeing able to download att all. I managed to download 1 torrent and are currently downloading 2 other. There was some disk overload in the beginning of thoose 2 but if u look at the picture they are downloading like mad atm and no disk overload for about 50% of the downloads.

hmmmlj3.th.jpg

Dreadwing if you are talking about my post im sorry if I am misleading the dude. I just had the same problem and posted my solution :) if you know the solution to my "different" problem you might have the time to help me? Although its working fairly good now. Managed to download 3 movies now and just had a 10 sec disk overload interupt but otherwise its fine.

I have my settings exactly as listed by Switeck and have tried both on and off for the cache pairs. I have increased my size from 64 to 500 to 1000 mb cache. I have a SATA drive as well and am running Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7000. I have the exact same problem. I am not pre-allocating. chkdsk error free and disk is fragmented only 1%. Windows memory test returned clean as well apon restart.

Archived