Is it possible to get a straight answer to some newbie questions?

KodiakBeer

I'm on DSL. On the speed test I get 322kbs download and 228 kbs upload. My Firewall is off. When I set my Utorrent at the level that seems appropriate as indicated by the speed test and try to download a movie, I get an ETA of over 24 hours!

This seems insane to me because I can download a movie on Netflix in about 20 minutes.

Is there a problem or is this kind of glacial speed normal for Torrent? I simply don't know what to expect.

If 24 hours is not a normal download time for a DSL connection, can somebody just tell me what to set the speed at, without answering me with another question, or linking me to some confusing graph?

I want to level a criticism that I hope you'll take as well-meaning and constructive. There is an obvious disconnect on this forum between the techno people and the average user. People are asking simple, direct questions and getting technogarble in response. I wouldn't be asking these questions if any of the other people asking the same questions had gotten a clear reply in non-techno English.

Best,

On the speed test I get 322kbs download and 228 kbs upload.

I highly suspect this is in *bit/sec

Your speeds should be around 30kbyte/sec download (as shown in uTorrent's displays)

If 24 hours is not a normal download time for a DSL connection, can somebody just tell me what to set the speed at, without answering me with another question, or linking me to some confusing graph?

The charts are only confusing if you ignore both the column headers AND the settings in uTorrent's preferences.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=34259 - 192kbit/sec or 224kbit/sec

There's even a breakdown for what each column in the chart means.

I've used FAQ and Search and can't find anything except techno-babble and links to a chart that I've already used, unsuccessfully.

Even the link to the thread on "how to use the chart" isn't helpful because when I go to preferences (as the thread dictates), the values are already locked in and unchangeable.

The only thing I can change is the connection type in the speed guide, which doesn't seem to help. No matter where I set that, I get download times exceeding 24 hours.

Is there some user out there, who will take a moment to tell me in plain English how to set this software.

And I ask again - is 24 hours a NORMAL download time? Is there somebody else out there with a DSL connection who can tell me how long it takes them to download a standard movie?

You need to understand the difference between bits and bytes. A byte is 8 bits. As symbols an upper case B is used for byte, and a lower case b is used for bits. Thus 1 kB/s = 8 kb/s. µTorrent generally measure speeds in kB/s.

I'd say a good limit on speeds for both upload and download is somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of gross bandwith, thus if you for instance have a 512 kb/s down and 128 kb/s up connection, that is equal to 64 kB/s down and 16 kB/s up, and so you should limit download to something between 32 and 48 kB/s, and upload to something between 8 and 12 kB/s.

Note that these limits are maximums that you apply yourself in order to have room for other traffic as well. The speeds that you acheive may be lower.

About the movie, how long it takes depend on what size it is, and how well seeded it is. Whenever you download video material always take note as to how big the files are, there is no standard size for a movie, you will typically find that a normal 2 hour movie is anywhere from 500 MB to 10 GB in size, depending on how much the person who encoded it found suitable. Also for any torrent take note as to how many seeds and peers there are, if there are many peers relative to seeds your download speed will be highly dependent on your upload speed, and if there are very few peers and seeds in total your download speed may be low no matter how much you upload.

Edit: Just wanted to add, don't trust the ETA when you have just started a torrent, it is always slow in the beginning, but the speed will usually increase given time.

What is a normal time to download a 1.3 meg movie on a DSL connection? 1 hour? 1 day? 1 week? Just a general answer in plain English is all I'm looking for.

The software does not allow me to set anything except the connection type and speed, which I have done. The settings under "preferences" are locked in and can not be changed. The "automatic" check boxes are not checked. My firewall is off.

I appreciate your taking the time to reply, but I really don't have time to learn all those bits and bytes today.

I would think that any good software should be user friendly enough to simply use your upload and download speeds to set up the system. I've supplied those above, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on how to use that info to set up the software.

The movie I'm experimenting with is 1.3 gigs (I think I incorrectly said megs, above...).

And it may be that I'm simply expecting too much. If download times re best measured in days rather than minutes, I'll just go back to finding the obscure movies I want on Ebay.

What is a normal time (in general terms) to download a movie via torrent on a DSL connection? One of you out there must have been successful in downloading a movie or two and if so, perhaps you could give me a general range? 1 to 2 hours? 2 to 4 hours? 24 to 48 hours?

What is a normal time (in general terms) to download a movie via torrent on a DSL connection?

Saying "On a dsl connection" isn't enough of a restriction to determine how long the movie would take to download, because there is an EXTREMELY high variance between low-end DSL (320kbit download) and high end DSL (6mbit download).

OK, for some reason the settings under preferences were grayed out, but I restarted the application and was able to change the settings using your numbers above.

I started the download again and the ETA finally leveled out at about 2 days, 19 hours.

What is a normal time (in general terms) to download a movie via torrent on a DSL connection? At least one of you out there must have been successful in downloading a movie or two and if so, perhaps you could give me a general range? 1 to 2 hours? 2 to 4 hours? 24 to 48 hours?

What is a normal time (in general terms) to download a movie via torrent on a DSL connection?

Saying "On a dsl connection" isn't enough of a restriction to determine how long the movie would take to download, because there is an EXTREMELY high variance between low-end DSL (320kbit download) and high end DSL (6mbit download).

Without knowing more specifics about your own connection package, we have no way of giving you an estimate of the fastest you can download.

I've given my connection speeds in the opening post. What is a normal time (in general terms) to download a movie via torrent on a DSL connection? At least one of you out there must have been successful in downloading a movie or two and if so, perhaps you could give me a general range? 1 to 2 hours? 2 to 4 hours? 24 to 48 hours?

THANK YOU!!!

So, the ETA for a 1.3 gig movie should be 12 hours or a bit less? Using the settings supplied here, I'm getting closer to 60 hours ETA. The best I've done with any the settings I've tried is over 24 hours.

Is Utorrent one of those programs that doesn't work correctly on Vista?

How many seeds are there for the movie you're tying to download? How many leachers? My experience (I have dsl through cable) is that a healthy swarm will allow me to download a 1.3G torrent in as little as 3 hours. But a torrent with few seeds or a crappy ratio can take days.

Archived