Rogers Bit Torrent Settings - A Refresher?

robono

Hello all!

I am using UTorrent. I understand that Rogers throttles bittorrents. I am using the following:

1. UTorrent 1.4 (Build 402)

2. Hardware Router: SMC VBR 7004

I have only opened up port 1720 under the VIRTUAL SERVER and SPECIAL APPLICATIONS section. Enabled both for incoming/outgoing connections.

3. Software Firewall: PC-Cillan

Personal Firewall is active but I have given U Torrent access on port 1720. It actually grants UTORRENT access to ALL ports. But I manually added port 1720.

4. Windows XP Home SP2

Firewall ON. But I've done the exceptions things for UTORRENT. TCP/UDP. Enables exception for port 1720.

Anything else I should do?

I keep getting low speeds. They start off strong then quickly die off to 1-2 KB/S.

I am in the Brampton area.

If anyone can help me, please let me know!

Thanks all!

My config:

Maximum Upload Rate: 25 KB

Maximum Download Rate: 300 KB

Upload Slots 4

Update GUI: 1000 ms * what's this do? *

Enable uPNP: Checked ON

Global MAX Connections: 130

Connected Peers per Torrent: 70

# of Upload Slot Per Torrents: 3

Advanced: Peer Lazy Bitfield set to TRUE

DHT: Off

I'm currently download a torrent and getting 130 KB on download side and 22 on upload...

Anything you'd suggest I change? Or is this as good as it gets?

Thanks!!!!

You guys are super.....

I am using the following:

2. Hardware Router: SMC VBR 7004

I have only opened up port 1720 under the VIRTUAL SERVER and SPECIAL APPLICATIONS section. Enabled both for incoming/outgoing connections.

3. Software Firewall: PC-Cillan

4. Windows XP Home SP2

I keep getting low speeds. They start off strong then quickly die off to 1-2 KB/S.

Having 2 software firewalls running at once doesn't make you much if any better protected. It is especially important to note that µTorrent needs to access almost any possible outgoing port. Port 1720 is all it needs for incoming. If for some reason one of your firewalls was blocking outgoing ports besides 1720, I'd expect low speeds at best.

Enable uPNP: Checked ON

It looks like you have done all the manual forwarding needed in your router. So having uPnP enabled is putting extra work on your CPU and router for no benefit. It may even be causing a speed hit.

Even after all the settings changes, don't expect very high upload speeds. You might even want to limit upload bandwidth to 20 KB/sec and download bandwidth to 150 KB/sec or lower as Rogers ISP's monitoring methods have been known to progressively cripple lines based on useage amounts as well as traffic types.

Watch out for any maximum bandwidth useage per month limits in your ISP's "fair use" FAQs.

I would strongly recommend getting rid of the PC-cillin firewall, the WinXP one is more than enough if you're already behind a hardware firewall/router and as Switeck said, it will only cause problems.

Update GUI: 1000 ms * what's this do? *

1000 ms is the time between each update of the GUI - that is the download speeds, etc. 1000 ms = 1 second. That means the download speeds and other such information displayed in the µTorrent window will be updated once a second. ;)

I'm currently download a torrent and getting 130 KB on download side and 22 on upload...

That sounds pretty good to me. What are the advertised speeds (upload/download) for your plan?

Archived