Port Forwarding

leftsaidfred

I have moderate computer skills, and know very little about programming, so I have a question that I have been wondering about for some time.

Why is it that apperently some programs needs to be portforwarded and some not. Is it a result of the design of the program that some needs to be portforwarded, i.e the program is designed with security in mind so portforwarding is a result of that design?

To download legal content I use Limewire and uTorrent, Limewire I did not need to portforward, but on uTorrent I gett NAT Error and slow downloads, so I apperently need to portforward. Can somone please explain why most programs dont need portforwarding (all my online computer games, and many other programs dont need portforwarding), and some do.

Thanks

I thought all programs specified the ports, or a range of ports. I didnt have to portforward on BitTorrent (the original), the speed was good, but few features. Many, if not all my computer games uses a spcified port ( range of ports), yett I have never portforwarded a game. So what you are saying I dont find logical.

What makes it logical is realizing that the p2p applications use TCP connections that are established in both directions.

But it doesnt answer why I didnt have to do it on Limewire or BitTorrent, both are surley a P2P program and establishes connection in both direction.

If you haven't portforwarded, the connections coming into the computer from outside can't get in.

Then how on earth do I even gett a download? Its just slow when the NAT Error is displayed.

That is because YOUR connection connects out to others who aren't firewalled.

However as more are firewalled (from buying routers actually), the harder it is to get very many connections...and speeds suffer badly!

Limewire also uses a special trick (UDP NAT hole-punching) to get around the firewalled problem, however it has its limits and comes with extra bandwidth costs.

BitTorrent has nothing fancy, you were probably just on torrents where people were mostly unfirewalled.

Archived