µTorrent not installing properly

ubpassenger

For a while now i've experienced some troubles when trying to install µTorrent. I run the .exe, i get the install dialog, install runs smooth, no bug, but when i try to run utorrent it runs from the folder where i've downloaded the exe, not the one where i've installed the software.

This occurs with the latest builds from 1.8.2 and 1.8.3

I'm running vista 32 bits

before or after the installation?

edit : i ask that only because i have a previous version of utorrent installed. This occurs when i'm trying to update utorrent

edit 2: i have both folders, before or after the installation. However, the exe in the program files folder is still the same after the completion of the installation, i.e. 1.8.3.15104 when trying to install 1.8.3.15289

Ok so you can try to reinstall properly uTorrent.

Delete old utorrent.exe (old & new) from Program Files\uTorrent (folder too).

Save a copy of folder %appdata%\utorrent (important to resume your torrents) then delete the original folder.

Redownload the last 1.8.2 or 1.8.3, install it. Close uT.

Paste the back-up copy of %appdata%\utorrent then restart uT.

And you're sure the only thing running is what you started? If you look at Task Manager, it only shows the 1 you see in the tray? I'd download Process Explorer I linked above, see if there's another one running, and where it's running from. Double click the process to bring up Properties.

Yes i'm sure only one was running. And i'm also sure it was running from the downloaded exe, not the installed one. But now that's it works fine, there's no point in me running process explorer. I'll do that if the problem reappears next time I try to update.

Archived