Error: Access is denied

RustyG

I have been using utorrent for a while now, but i recently purchased a new computer with Vista OS... And now i'm having problems with it, the torrents start, but turn off after 3-10 seconds. And "Error: Access is denied" comes up in the Status column. I've turned off the firewall and tried lots of different things, but nothing seems to work...

I've recently reinstalled XP SP3 and have the same problem. A few torrents do still work but in general I get the error 'Access is denied".

A fix that has worked for me is to download the torrent file to my desktop and open it from there. Don't know why this works but it does. Hopefully this works for you and others aswell.

ps I am using Firefox 3.0.1 I have it set to automatically run .torrent files with utorrent. I haven't tried it on IE yet (because I hate it).

Downloading latest firefox version now.

Unsure what you mean in your reply but,

When I clicked the link in firefox (download torrent), utorrent would open and within a couple of seconds 'Access is denied' would appear in the status column and a red x on the left. Restarting firefox and navigating back to the link I would still get the same error. However right-clicking the link and selecting 'Save link as' (I save to desktop) and then running the torrent from there works.

Utorrent automatically copies any .torrent currently running to D:\downloads\torrents and moves them to a sub-folder (\completed) when finished.

Utorrent is version 1.8.2

Hope this answers your question

If you can't get the torrent that way it sounds like you have something keeping you from your temp files.

No. In the General tab, there is Save As. I was asking whether the data is being saved in the same location. Is your D:\Downloads folder set for full permissions for only you? Or you and SYSTEM or LOCALSYSTEM ?

I still don't know which general tab you mean (hard disk\folder\utorrent\firefox) and can't find 'Save As' anywhere.

Permissions are set ok. Admin, users and system. However you mention temp files. On my new install I changed my temp directories. Since installing the new version of firefox I've got no problems.

Anyway, this is hijacking RustyG's thread and my problem is now solved, so lets wait to hear from RustyG and see how he/she is doing with their problem.

Maybe reinstalling their browser and utorrent?

Archived