Cache questions

molitar

Ok I am using the latest beta 1.9 version and when I add several torrents my mouse pointer will start lagging and jumping. No other error messages.. If I turn off firewall in KIS it helps some. But after messing with it some more it seems to be a cache issue. What should the defaults for cache be since I must have tampered with them before and messed them up.. mine I had windows cache disabled.. I re-enabled them.. seems to have helped some.. unchecked all the boxes under the read and write cache.. again seems to have helped some but not all.. What are the recommended settings for cache because their is no reset or anything that indicates what default is to set them back.

The default options would be to bypass Writes, but not Reads. Do not change the RAM setting from 32. And Write out finished pieces immediately is checked.

What do you mean it's a cache issue? If your HDD is not able to keep up with disk writes it's possible the disk i/o controller is not working in UDMA mode, but in PIO. Have you checked Device Manager and the properties to verify they are functioning in (DMA Where Available) mode, current mode (DMA X) (newer hard drives X = 5)

They are SATA drives using UDMA 6. So not a drive issue.. drive benchmarks are quite fast at a little over 70MB/s actual throughput. I just meant that I screwed up default cache settings causing the problem with the slow down.

In that case, usually people who notice degradation when not related to other software either interfering in memory or inspecting packets --the size of the RAM cache is at fault.

What about the system is slow? Is there excess CPU usage? There was a post/picture with default settings of the disk cache pane, but I can't find it atm.

no.. no real cpu useage at all.. dual core and it wasn't even 11% at it's worse. Memory is 4GB and wasn't even half used. No this issue did not start until I had moved up from 1.8 to 1.9 I started noticing these issues.

Archived