Old versions of uTorrent

Zinedin

Hi guys!

I just stopped by to ask you if it's any way possible to download old versions of uTorrent from this official uTorrent Web site? I have looked through most parts of this Web site but I could not find any section like an archive section for old versions (some software teams use FTP servers to make old software versions and documentation available). I couldn't even find any information that states if it is possible or not to download old versions of uTorrent from this official uTorrent Web site. That's why I am asking you know.

I am aware that it is possible to download the older versions of uTorrent from various software depositories like the CNET Downloads, TuCows, FileHippo, TopSofts and so on, but from my own computing experience I know that the chances are much higher that you will get infected by a virus or other malicious code when downloading software from this type of Web sites either by visiting the site itself or by executing the downloaded installer. That's why I am much more inclined to download software from their official developer Web site instead of downloading from third-party Web sites.

The reason I am asking is because I am trying to help another fellow who told me that the tracker site he usually visits to download torrents issued a warning message to it's members where they warn about security risks in version 1.8.1 (and/or 1.8.2) of uTorrent and requested them to install version 1.7.7 and stop using the mentioned version.

Thanks in advance!

The reason I am asking is because I am trying to help another fellow who told me that the tracker site he usually visits to download torrents issued a warning message to it's members where they warn about security risks in version 1.8.1 (and/or 1.8.2) of uTorrent and requested them to install version 1.7.7 and stop using the mentioned version.

The site in question is not worth your time, nor your friend's.

1.7.7 is actually LESS secure than 1.8.2 because of CONFIRMED security exploits in 1.7.x AND ALL OLDER versions.

Any of the tinfoil hat wearing paranoia surrounding 1.8.2 and such is completely unfounded. All proof regarding such paranoia proves that the concerns are NOT justified.

Thanks for the quick answer DreadWingKnight!

I am personally not familiar with the problem so I don't know exactly what it is about version 1.8.1 or 1.8.2 that they feel is so bad that they have to abandon it. What I do know is that my friend said to me that it had something to do with seeding ratio hijacking so to speak, where one could download torrent data and charge the other members account so that it would look like if that member was the one who downloaded it and it would lead to bad (low) seeding ratio for that member while leaving your own untouched. You understand what I'm saying? Is this something that you guys are aware of? Is it solved now? I looked through the change log for 1.8.2 but I couldn't see anything particular fix relating to this problem. Perhaps it has been solved a long time ago in an earlier version. If you know about it please enlighten me.

I don't think that the most current incarnation of a software product is always the most stable and secure one. That is not always the case. But I do agree that the best you can do is to stick with the most current version. First of all it's a good habit to always keep your software up to date. And second of all if there is a problem then it's very likely it will be fixed in upcoming updates if you are using the current version since it's usually the one that the developer is paying most attention to and sometimes it's the only supported one especially where the developer team is a very small and narrow one.

When I think about it, I think I understand why you don't make the old versions available. If a user is able to obtain an old version of the software or by mistake download that old version they would eventually ask for support for it. Since you only give support for the most current version you would get more questions than you can handle and you would most probably leave them disappointed with no support. So it's reasonable not to make them available for that matter alone. But for anyone interested in an older version for what ever the reason I feel like it would be appropriate to make them available even if you wouldn't give tech support for it. Most of us are technical enough to solve our small software problems by the DIY method.

(The download link for the 1.8.2 version is http://download.utorrent.com/1.8.2/utorrent.exe I just tried to replace that with http://download.utorrent.com/1.7.7/ but I failed to obtain the 1.7.7. I was able to download the installer, but when I compared it (using Beyond Compare) to the 1.8.2 installer they were binary the same, so it was actually only 1.8.2. That's too bad, because for one moment I thought I had it.)

Thank you!

That's a completely bogus claim. It's not a problem specific to uTorrent or any client. If you steal someone's passkey to download with someone else's account, that's unrelated to the torrent client itself and a problem with site/tracker security.

If a user is able to obtain an old version of the software or by mistake download that old version they would eventually ask for support for it

Yes true, and keep in mind that most people here are volunteers. We don't want to waste our time on handling the same old problems over and over.

Also, in µtorrent's case, the old versions that certain circles recommend/require have serious security issues and ofc we all want to make the world a better place by telling people these recommendations/requirements are bogus.

Communities that recommend or even require these old versions are either untrustworthy or idiots (which actually amounts to the same thing) and I would even go as far as to recommend you to stay away from such communities exactly because they recommend or require these old versions of µtorrent.

It is true that newer versions of a piece of software aren't always better. But in those cases an older version is better there are good reasons. Proven security issues, removal of functionality or an overhaul of functionality that wasn't an improvement, etc.

But in the case of µtorrent people are just recommending older versions because of FUD or paranoia. It's not based on any truth. It's cake.

Also try reading http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=11601 again :P

Archived