Frequent crashes and pop-up questions

Mikademus

Using the 406 build (since the later builds are beta and not recommended for users requring stable operations) I experience frequent crashes. Most of the time uTorrent simply lock up after croaking some dismal beeps, but once in a while I get the pop-up "uTorrent has crashed and will restart, do you want to send info to Donald Trump" (or something).

Now, crashes are bad, but detecting crashes, saying you will reboot, then waiting for user input is almost worse. Torrents run by themselves, unsupervised. I do not enjoy coming home to realise that the app has crashed, detected this seven hours ago, and not restarted itself when it could have!

Sorry to sound miffed, but leaving the computer on costs electricity bills and hardware wear and tear. The feedback dialogue is a silly misfeature that costs me money and which can easily be fixed with a simple timeout counter.

Perhaps it is 406 that I'm using then, when I wrote the message µTorrent had just crashed on me for the gazillionth time that day and I couldn't be bothered with starting it again just to check the version number.

I remember reading in one of the release threads that the beta releases were not recommended for stable use, but if you say that policy has been reversed, sure, I'll give it a shot. If it helps defeating these infuriating crashes I'm on.

Are you saying the confirmation dialogue wart has been fixed in the betas?

Update: Running build 418. I restardet it as I started writing this. It crashed. And I got the wonderful dialogue. When reaching this sentence it crashed again. And I got the winderful dialogue again. Can someone PLEASE disable that INCREDIBLY ANNOYING WART!

But what is it that's happening here? µTorrent started out as very stable, but now it seems to crash more often than Windows Explorer... Damn, I don't want to go back to BitComet!!!

/me goes away grumbling about the bitterness of reality

Mikademus: do you have a firewall or anti-virus? or any net monitoring (or net nanny?) program?

ps: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

change Auto to 0

and Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Error Reporting

"Disable Error reporting"

I'd relax man, quite alot of people have NEVER had utorrent crash (like me) so I'd suggest you direct your energy towards listening to Firon and figuring out why it's happening on your machine, instead of getting aggressive and bitchy on the board. It'll be a lot more productive for you in the long run.

Mikademus: do you have a firewall or anti-virus? or any net monitoring (or net nanny?) program?

ps: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

change Auto to 0

and Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Error Reporting

"Disable Error reporting"

That's for the MS Quality Feedback Agent, or whatever they call it. The dialogue I'm talking about is built into µT. I'd post a screenshot, but I don't really relish sitting and waiting for µT to crash. I have ~45 crash dumps in my µTorrent directory, one created every time the app crashes, and these have nothing to do with the MS agent. It is a µT wart, and an easily fixable one. But thanks for trying to help! It would be much appreciated if you could forward this to Ludde and the other (?) developers, though.

I do have a firewall, ZoneAlarm Pro. That should really make no difference, and I'm not taking it down to try µT stability.

I haven't got it to crash yet, which is a good thing. But if/when it does, will I still see that dialogue eight hours later when I return home?

Speaking of which, I read in another thread that Ludde is fond of including messages here and there. Got one as I upgraded to 419. These also lack timeout counters, right? Yet another thing that would cost money, coming home to find a nice, friendly message that has been holding up the downloads for a day. Then I surely would feel friendly back :) However, it seems like these messages only occur when the app is started for the first time, or at least, I hope they do...

Archived