Cannot install bittorrent

bearuk

Like many people, I'm annoyed by the decision to bundle the unpleasant 'ask.com' toolbar with the bittorrent download.

It seems however to be causing me a lot of trouble and I can't install bittorrent.

I remove the three ticks regarding ask.com's toolbar, including agreeing to the agreements. I then click on install and nothing happens.

Any attempt to run Bittorrent (it shows up in my program list) brings up the installation dialog boxes and the annoying ask.com toolbar install question again. I don't seem to be able to get past it.

I am having the same problem.

I am running vista os and if I uncheck the box to install the ask toolbar, utorrent will not install at all.

The screen flickers and nothing else happens.

It seems that the optional option is not optional at all and that worries me.

If there's a workaround for this please let us know.

• 4 months later...

I am trying to upgrade to a newer version of uTorrent and I seem to have hit some sort of a bug. I had v1.85 installed and I wanted to try the 2.0 Beta version. I downloaded and ran the appropriate install file, selected my options, which was to not install the Ask Toolbar, and when I clicked Install, nothing happened (the button dims for a split second, but the screen does not change). I went back and selected to install the Ask Toolbar, thinking I could uninstall it later, but still nothing happened when I clicked Install.

I read here what the above people did, so I tried uninstalling the v1.85 and running install again to another directory c:/program files/uTorrent2... and the same thing happened... nothing. I tried rebooting, I tried cleaning my registry and I checked in my boot file to make sure there wasn't some fragment left over from a previous install attempt (there wasn't) and still nothing happened.

So I tried reinstalling v1.85, since it worked before... and now I can't even install that... the same thing happens... no matter what I select as options, when I click Install, I just get nothing (this time the screen disappears, but nothing runs, it just closes). Unless someone has a fix, I guess I'm in the hunt for a different torrent engine.

I'm running Windows Vista with Firefox on a HP laptop. Thanks.

ok, I did that... used notepad to make blank settings.dat file (0 bytes) in C:\Program Files\uTorrent... ran install for v2.0 making sure to point to same directory... and voila... nothing happened... same thing, Install button dims for a second, but nothing changes... the settings.dat file is unchanged.

I tried all of the above on another folder C:\Program Files\uTorrent5... still nothing.

I'm running Windows Vista and I have access permissions disabled (User Account Control is off). I have not had this problem with any other programs.

However... I right-clicked on the utorrent.exe install file and selected Properties... Compatibility. None of the boxes were checked, which I assume is default. So I tried selecting "Compatibility Mode" which gave me a few choices, and I selected "Windows XP". Then I clicked Apply and OK. It took a few seconds for the settings to register, then I ran the install file again... and IT WORKED!... it installed perfectly.

So the v2.0 file installed just as expected and now I am up and running again. I have no idea why that setting was needed. I have not used it for anything else, but in this case it solved the problem.

I guess I can keep using uTorrent now. Maybe others have/will have the same issue. Thanks for your help.

Sorry, but I don't want to risk messing up my system. UAC is for those who don't know what they're doing. Turning it back on at this point may restrict my program access and may require reloading software or reconfiguring my firewall. I gave you all that I can.

Archived