net.bind_ip & net.outgoing_ip Question...

Sloshua

What is the correct way to set this up? I have two NIC's in my PC, both connecting to a different WAN connection. I want my uTorrent to connect to a specific connection. Should I use the internal IP address that I have on the card, or should I use the external IP address? Should I put that in both of the settings or just one?

• 4 weeks later...
if you want to restrict the peer (and tracker) connections to a specific WAN connection, you use the bind and outgoing ip paramaters to bind to the NIC's address.

What's the exact difference between the outgoing and bind options?

Or, better put: What connections does the outgoing IP take? Does this also include upstream bittorrent data?

outgoing is for outgoing connections, the other is for incoming connections

Yes, but connections aren't the same as the actual data-stream for bittorrent.. Anyway, I've tested it, it includes all data from and to uTorrent.

Great option by the way, I can really use it.

• 2 years later...

1> You can't bind to an IP address that isn't on your system.

2> It doesn't matter which direction a connection is made for data to travel over it. Once a connection is established, data can travel over it in either direction.

3> Splitting your traffic across multiple connections like that would outright break incoming connections entirely anyway (since you make your tracker announce on the DSL connection and are listening on the cable which would not get any connections at all).

Multiple internet connections and bittorrent clients don't get along well unless multiple computers are involved.

Archived