burning to CD-R's

nickster

So let's say i download a video file from limewire or utorrent. I have Nero Burning Software and so i can burn it perfectly fine. I have a portable DVD player that supports CD-R's but not DVD-R's. I tried to burn the video file to a CD-R that said just music but it did not work, probably because the Cd does not support videos. What type of CD should i buy that i will be able to put video files on it and play it in my DVD player?

I guess you can always downsample the file, but beware that you lose quality... check up Doom9.org for more information if you're willing to sacrifice time and quality-of-video...

A little offtrack, but... is there any difference between Audio CD-Rs and Data CD-Rs? My local Rite-Aid and some other places (the last time I checked the advertisements... which was at least a year ago xD) marketed them differently and sold them at different prices... It has me confused, because I was thinking exactly what Firon said... that all CD-Rs are the same O.o

There is a small difference, the CDRs marked explicitly for audio have a few bits indicating it somwhere. There are some standalone CDR decks that check it and refuse to write if its not an 'audio' CDR. Also, 'audio' CDR price supposed to be higher, cause there supposed to be an extra tax on those, intended for the recording industry.

Hm... I thought I recalled that Audio CD-Rs were cheaper than Data CD-Rs... that's why I always considered buying them, but never did because of fear that I'd be wasting my money on stuff I'd never use... And my reasoning for them being cheaper was that they were less versatile -- only one type of use.

Anyway, interesting tidbit, thanks Inf ;]

check your portable dvd player software site. The player may not support the data format you are burning.

Usually Apex players are good at playing multiple formats of data. Like, I've burned some videos (to CD-Rs, data, yes) which my PS2 won't play, but my Apex DVD player will play.

Archived