How Can I test that my Torrent is Working

bwood

I've ready all the basic documentation here. I still don't really understand much of it. I have 2 torrents configured properly as best I can tell, but I doubt I've ever uploaded anything. How can I test that my torrent is really available to the outside world?

-- Email a friend a copy of the .torrent file and ask them to start it.

I installed uTorrent and opened the torrent file on my son's laptop. Now I see my PC's IP as a peer, and my son's laptop as a peer on my end. On my son's laptop, the torrent shows a blue arrow with status of "downloading," but it's not doing anything (0% downloaded; 0 availability). On his status bar, I see the error icon in the middle. When I hold the mouse over that icon, it says, "no incoming connections." If I double click the icon and run tests, everything reports OK. Same icon / test results on my end.

On my machine, when I right click under the Trackers tab, and select "add tracker" to see the properties, I have nothing in the trackers edit area, and all 4 check boxes at the bottom checked.

I've read through the referenced help links, but I don't see what's missing.

@ http://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce... to the tracker list and have others on the torrent do the same.

Done on both machines. No change. Error icons on both status bars still appear; both run network tests OK. On my son's laptop (the machine that doesn't have the files), I right click on the torrent and select "force start." Nothing happens. 0% downloaded; 0% uploaded.

Any other ideas?

@ Did you forward properly a different port in your router for each PC?

And about µT exceptions in both firewalls?

Exceptions are set. As for "port forwarding," I read the topic in help and I was left confused. In any case, at the end of the topic under "testing your configuration," it says the setup guide should indicate if there is a problem, and it runs fine on both machines.

Archived