FIOS Speed Capped - 500up 250 dn ?

candide08

I use uTorrent 2.0 build 18488 with Verizon FIOS 35Mb symmetric (35 up, 35 down).

My speed has been verified as full 35Mb. I use the Verizon Actiontec MI424WR router and a 1Gb Netgear switch behind it.

I can never get uTorrent download speeds to go above 500 k.

Please don't say 500 k is good and I should be happy, this is 1/70th of the bandwidth I pay for.

I have tried various settings and occasionally when I switch the port I will see it bounce up to 750-800 k but it quickly settles down to 500. If I leave UL and DL unlimited it always settles into 500 up and about 250 down. When all the downloading completes the DL speed will drop but the UL speed stays about 250 k. This is for 1 torrent with lots of seeds or multiple torrents - the total transfer speed does not vary much.

If I do single HTTP or FTP downloads, or copies to another PC I can get much higher speeds - sometimes 3 or 4 Mbs or higher.

It sure looks like my traffic is being capped to me, any ideas or ways around this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

The problem was with any torrent - I've tried Open Office, various popular Linux torrents.

I just read another post here about Eset AV - and entered an exclusion.

The speed for both UL and DL jumped right away.

I'll do some more testing butit looks like that's what it was.

Guess I should have read more before posting.....

"Please don't say 500 k is good and I should be happy, this is 1/70th of the bandwidth I pay for."

While indeed you should get a lot faster download/upload speeds than you are, you're still confusing bits and BYTES.

Your line is unlikely to be capable of >4000 KiloBYTES/second.

Please pay attention to the notations in my original post, I do not confuse bits and bytes.

My line is 35Mbps - 35 mega bits per second.

I referred to other downloads at "3 or 4 Mbs" 3 or 4 Mega bits per second, which are achieved regularly.

The lowercase b "Mbps" refers to bits, the uppercase B "MBps" (that I did not use) refers to bytes.

Yes, it seemed to top out there - but I only had two torrents going and they finished quickly.

The upload was just over 1 M. Plus I am remoted in (VNC) over my SSL VPN and the system is still fully usable.

Maybe later I'll try some more and see how high I can push the total.

Archived