Different Ports for TCP/UDP?

xflr40

Just trying out uTorrent and so far I like it. Sorry if this is a newbie question but I've searched around and can't seem to find any references ...

Port to listen on - Is it possible to specify DIFFERENT ports for TCP and UDP? The reason I ask is I am forced to use a VPN... Fortunately I have some forwarded ports - but they are arranged by protocol - so I need a different port number for TCP and a different one for UDP.

Is it possible to configure uTorrent this way? What's UDP used for anyway? Should I just ignore the UDP requirement and stick with TCP only? Will bad things happen? It seems to work that way but I'm wondering what functionality I'm missing out on through not having UDP.

Thanks for anyone who can spare the time to answer.

Hmm, I dumped Vuze because it was obviously becoming bloatware and this is partly my reason for trying out new clients. Yet Vuze has separate fields for UDP/TCP ports. How does it manage to use separate ports if this would cause problems?

I will look up what DHT and uTP are ... (I don't know as I'm only an occasional torrent user).

Thanks for your help.

It sounds like from what you are saying the way uTorrent has been written would make this difficult/impossible. I've looked up uTP and DHT and am not sure I'm ever going to need them as I tend to use private trackers and don't have issues with bandwidth control - so I guess maybe it's not a big deal anyway. Thanks for your help.

So it would sound like the different ports for UDP/TCP idea doesn't work in Vuze (mostly) either... I have been using uTorrent just specifying one port (the one that has TCP forwarded) and it seems to be working ok. Even DHT seemed to be doing something... From what DreadWingKnight said if UDP is only important for uTP and DHT anyway it could be this isn't going to affect me.

I'd like to stick with uTorrent as I really appreciate the small resource footprint and I like the interface design - so assuming I don't find any huge problems from not having UDP down the line I will just ignore the issue. Again if Vuze only pretends to have this working maybe I've never had UDP working and simply didn't notice :)

Archived