Share Ratio

SeYiA

Hello everyone, i'm new to the forums, and really I was just wondering what my share ratio should be before I remove it. I personnaly have been letting the share ratio go to 4.000 before i remove it which i think is 4 times what i downloaded i'm not 100% how to know what it means but i'm almost sure that's it. Anyway I'm all for the sharing community and just wanted to know if i should let it go longer, if it doesn't have to be that high, doesn't matter I'm gonna leave it at 4, but if i should go more please tell me, i wanna be fair for everyone else on the bittorrent. Thanks ahead of time for all that reply.

In any case, it's very, very difficult for everyone to maintain 1.0, despite it being mathematically possible.

Get over the ratio things. :/ As far as I'm concerned, anything above 0.4 is fine. I seed to 2.0 or for a day or so, whichever comes first. I don't bother seeding for ages when there are already hundreds of seeders, but I'll keep seeding if I'm the only one on a crap public torrent or something.

It's mathematically impossible for everyone to get 1:1 actually. At best, 2 people would have a ratio of .5

That's isn't true either. If everyone, from the start, would seed at 1 and no-more, torrents would be slow as hell. At the end of a torrents life-time, seeding to 1 is impossible, but at the start of the torrent, you can seed above 1 and it will make the torrent faster. Without sharing above a ratio of 1, the torrent will never gain momentum and will never be fast. It will also be susceptible to attacks and leechers. Just do some basic math or draw it out. Or connect to a private trackers were people have good ratio's (above 1). Ratio does matter and ratio's above 1 do make a difference.

But yes, in the end, the overall average ratio of everyone who ever connected to a torrent will be about 1 (I suspect a little higher). But that should never be an excuse to share just to a ratio of 1.

@Splintax: Knowledge about ratio is important. BT is a great network, but for those who have been using it for a long time or use private trackers a lot, BT can be frustrating at times. Plenty of people who don't care about ratio's or uploads speeds and because of that, BT isn't a fast as it could be or should be.

Archived