Not having any more luck.

Johnny_Sasaki

Hey everybody.

Torrents used to work fine with any torrent client I use. I used to use Bittorrent before switching to utorrent. However, ever since I moved to my new apartment, I can't seem to download torrents anymore. How is the new location relevant? Well, they offer T1 with the rent. I used to have Comcast before.

One of my biggest suspiscions is the port I'm using, since my firewall never gave my problems before I moved to my new place. Every time I test if my port is forwarded properly, I always get an error that it isn't open. I've tried 1720 and even 25.

I've already read the portforwarding guide, but I can't seem to re-map my port because I don't actually have a router in my apartment. I only get the wall socket. :P I'm guessing it's because we have the T1.

Also, I also have to apologize to anybody who wishes to help me. I'm not such a big tech-head, and you may need to take a "hold-my-hand" approach as you guide me through any suggestions. I really hate to ask, but a little patience may be needed.

Yes, Universal Plug n Play. You'll find the settings in the Network section of the preferences. If you can't configure the router (and there most likely is a router if the connection is shared throughout the apartment), you're probably out of luck =T

Thanks for all your help. I really didn't want to subscribe to anything, since torrents were free to begin with. :P

But before I do anything, can you clarify why you suggested UPnP. From what I've read so far about it, it doesn't share similarities with torrent sharing. It sounds like it just simplifies the "networking of intelligent devices with PCs in homes and businesses".

Would I just be better off with P2P? It's probably a bigger risk.

I know what P2P is, and I've already tried Limewire...

Guess what? It's the same exact case! It's the same with utorrent and Limewire, they keep saying that it's "Connecting to the Network". Well... I couldn't wait for it so I went to sleep. The next morning, they're both still trying to connect.

Looks like our T1 connection is actively blocking P2P or any form of file sharing network. I still have to try the latest utorrent if it gives me any luck.

Thanks toad for the grc link. Looks like ports 80 and 23 are up. 23 is Telnet and 80 is the World Wide Web Protocol.

Virtually all our ports are operating under Full Stealth Mode. It claims that port 139 does not exist. My Netbios name is exposed but all connections to it are refused.

It's proven to be a handy site. Kudos, man.

erm, the grc shields up are saying that your ports are being stealthed, as in, other peers cannot see you. this is a good thing if you're surfing the net, chatting and other things (hackers cannot find you), except using any p2p filesharing networks (peers cannot see you). You see, unless you forward your ports to your computer/ip, other peers cannot contact you directly. so you probably can't connect to the p2p networks, or if you do connect, you'll get crappy speeds (because the firewall/router is dropping packets destined to you)

so, what upnp basically does is, automatically forward the ports directly toward your ip address. but there's a catch, the router MUST have upnp enabled before you can use it. so, i suggest you talk to your building manager to have a port forwarded to your ip. good luck

Archived