Rate Limited UTP Connections

DeathStalker

How about being able to set this option PER TORRENT, not just Globally?

And PLEASE don't make this program "bloatware" - make any "additional features" (like streaming, etc) as ADD-ONS or PLUG-INS, NOT part of the main program - I don't need or want features like that, I want only the small & simple uTorrent that has made this the most popular client in the world.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand the "What's the point"?

The point is the same as TCP connection limitations per torrent which already exists - there may be some torrents that I want to "prioritize" for upload speed over others.

I certainly don't see this as a "niche need". If it is implemented for TCP, I see no reason for it not to be implemented for UTP.

Clearer now?

For some reason, you seem to be misinterpreting what I am saying. I DO limit some TCP connections (very effectively). I am saying that there IS NO REASON that a similar system could not be put into place to limit uTP connections on a PER TORRENT basis. With all due respect here, this isn't an effort that requires a rocket scientist to figure out - it is a VERY SIMPLE issue.

If you can limit a TORRENT by the TCP speed, you should also be able to limit a torrent by uTP, REGARDLESS and independent of the TCP connection. NOT just an ALL or NOTHING option.

Agian, VERY SIMPLE.

No, the Bandwidth settings (on Properties) for each torrent apply only to TCP, not uTP - I'm asking for a TORRENT-SPECIFIC control of the uTP speed or override, not an overall program-wide control, such as is implemented in 2.0.4 (Build 22150). I want to be able to limit the uTP speed of each torrent individually, not just all or nothing.

You say "You can already limit a torrent's download and upload speeds, for TCP and uTP or just for TCP" - if that option is there, which is what I'm asking, I don't see it anywhere. ALL I see is two selections under OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>BANDWIDTH for "Global Rate Limit Options". I don't want GLOBAL options, I want the option for each torrent.

Doesn't appear to work that way, at least for me. I've done it before, but I followed you instructions explicitly. As soon as I select "Apply rate limit to uTP connection", those uTP connections, even on torrents that are set as unlimited upload speeds (0), drop to below the Global TCP limits. As soon as I uncheck it again, they jump right back up. So it's acting in a global manner for me, not on an individual torrent basis.

All torrents start with no individual upload or download limit, but are restricted to the global limits UNLESS uTorrent is told otherwise.

If you set a global limit and then select "Apply rate limit to uTP connection", you're telling uTorrent to apply that limit to uTP connections even if there's no limit on an individual torrent.

I'm not certain why, but you're still missing the details of my point.

If I set the Global Upload limit to 0 (unlimited), then that also applies to the TCP connections. TCP connections have a direct adverse affect on speed - the higher the up, the lower the down (1.6Mb/s down / ~100kB/s up). If I use *just* TCP connections (no uTP), if my up speed goes above ~40kB/s, then my down speed drops significantly (~60%). Enabling uTP allows consistent 100+kB/s speeds with no effect on down speed.

If I set the Global Up limit to 40kB/s and do *not* check the "Apply Global Rate Limit To uTP Connections", then I am able to get full speeds up and down - however, the individual torrents no longer abide by any Bandwidth Setting - I can set an *individual* torrent's properties to a Max Upload Rate of 10kB/s, but it will still exceed that speed.

In other words, if I *don't* set a Global Upload Limit, then the TCP connections reduce speeds overall - setting it allows the TCP connections to be limited (and also individually limited), but uTP is *not* controllable for individual torrents.

I hope that's a bit clearer :)

***I've added a screenshot where you can see that the Up Limit for a torrent is specified (at 10kB/s) but the speed is over 100kB/s - Global Upload Limit is set to 40kB/s.

uTorrentSpeedImage.jpg

• 1 month later...

+1 @ Death Staker, reg. torrent specific uTP bandwidth control. @Firon, the point is same that applies to TCP

Also, agree with Death Stalker on not making utorrent into a bloatware. I really don't need the streaming/playback features.

Archived