about hidden download cap

incognito

My max upload rate is 35kb/s, basically the most i can use without slowing overall dl speed. I have it set at 35kb/s in utorrent, however currently i'm dl a torrent with 13 seeders and no peers. For the slow I'm not uploading anything as of yet since there are no peers. Is the dl cap affecting my dl rate?

The "Hidden Download Cap" is only for users who (stupidly) set their upload rate limits to 5kbyte/sec or less.

Please, if I set it any higher than 3, everyone in our dorm pings 7+ seconds to anywhere. And yes, this is supposed to be broadband :P, just a very crappy ISP.

That is rather unfortunate, but, uTorrent is not to blame for that. Crappy ISP's are everywhere, but they only exist because people keep financially supporting them :-) And dorms, well, it is kind of you to think about your fellow residents, but if the situation is that bad, then you are not the only one using p2p-software!

BitTorrent is about file-sharing, not just downloading or leeching.

Imagine downloading a 700MB file at 200KB/s with only 3 KB/s to upload to others. It would take an hour to download and 3 full days to upload back. Effectively, if you run your computer 24/7, you could download a CD every 3 days even though it only takes a single hours to do the actual downloading. How many people will leave there computer on for 3 whole days while they got whatever they wanted in an hour? And what use is getting something in an hours if you'll be uploading it for the next three days?

I don't blame µTorrent, I just resent being called stupid because I have a crappy connection :P.

The thing is, we're basicly getting a single-residence line in for the entire building, and with the upstream bandwidth caps in this country, it just gets swamped easily. Just 7 people ircing/msning/surfing simultaneously is noticable on the connection. (The fact that we have a 10Mbit hub instead of at least a switch isn't helping off course.)

You don't have to explain the BT-concept to me, I know how it works. The fact is that I have my computer running 24/7, and torrenting most of the time (except the busier hours, see above). I'm a good sharer, just because I do it slowly doesn't mean I should keep from using p2p, or be called stupid :P. Actually, BT is ideal for me, because I can share with a swarm instead of just 1 person, that way I can actually afford to take a long time to share, I'm not choking 1 person's download, the swarm balances it out.

BTW: Assuming I can actually reach 200KB/s download, on a connection that swamps as easily as I described it, seems farfetched. (I'm not even counting the download limit at 3KB/s :P)

A lot of people care actually. There is nothing more frustrating then entering a swarm where the majority of people shares @1KB/s or less.

The thing is, we're basicly getting a single-residence line in for the entire building, and with the upstream bandwidth caps in this country, it just gets swamped easily. Just 7 people ircing/msning/surfing simultaneously is noticable on the connection. (The fact that we have a 10Mbit hub instead of at least a switch isn't helping off course.)

Which evil-do'er put that HUB there??? Hubs are evil in the hands of the unknowing. I've you live in the US, sue the basterd! (not kidding)

What kind of connection (speed) does the residence have? Are you allowed to connect to other residential users? I can't imagine a 10MBit/Half Duplex connection suffices anymore.

Which evil-do'er put that HUB there??? Hubs are evil in the hands of the unknowing. I've you live in the US, sue the basterd! (not kidding)

Landlord put it there. If I stay at that place next year, I intend to "loan" a decent switch to the building, and change it back at the end of the year :).

What kind of connection (speed) does the residence have? Are you allowed to connect to other residential users? I can't imagine a 10MBit/Half Duplex connection suffices anymore.

It's a 4MBit/192KBit line I think, maybe 384KBit upstream at best, I'm getting conflicting info. Divide by 7 and notice the problem :). That, plus general capacity problems on that ISP (the only one for us, students, here), have frustrated us quite regularly :).

Anyway, we're getting off-topic here :).

Archived