site request - add FAQ to the main index page

hofshi

I notice more and more people who are asking for help without searching the FAQ.

It may be that several of them are unaware that there is a FAQ.

Is it possible to add a direct link to the FAQ from the main index page of the forums?

It just might narrow down this phenomenon.

It is not easy to create a post in which all lines begin with an "I" :)

Sorry for being stubborn, but can we at least try that? If it doesn't help we can always remove the link...

Edit: another option is to add something to the announcement section asking to search the FAQ before asking in the forums.

There are so many pointers for people to read the damned FAQ, the numerous stickied posts throughout the forums and the omni-present search link, yet people still ask the same questions answered elsewhere. I'm still amazed everyday how low the human IQ can go... :/

Nah, I blame it on stupidity. Well, maybe that's a bit harsh. Inexperience.

I'll search my ass off through forums, IRC, google, FAQs and any documentation I can find before I post anywhere. Why? First off, I usually have to register an account, which is annoying. Second, as someone who spends time in forums answering questions, I know how annoying it is when people don't read FAQs or google. Thirdly, I want my answers now! Why wait for a forum response when you can get an instant response from the FAQ?

/me thinks that CTRL+F on the FAQ is a LOT less effort than typing out a whole post, no matter how many "u"s, "r"s and other stupid abbreviations you use.

Archived