High upload rate from ISP but slow upload speeds.

boone

I am not new to torrenting but I am sort of new to how it all works. I get 40 down and 5 up from my ISP and typicall I get great download speeds of around 1.2 to 2.1 sometimes even a bit higher. I have noticed recently that upload speeds are around 10 to 50 kbps sometimes they get around 100 to 250 but I remember configuring the upload rate a while back to cap at 400 kbps and it got there. I have the download set to unlimited and upload set to unlimited. I have read posts about peers and swarms but I am not exactly sure what it all means in relation to seeding. I would like to seed to a 1.0 ratio but at this rate it would take forever. I have malewarebytes running but have disabled website blocking, I have utorrent port forwarded and cleared on my firewall. I'd add images of what my settings are but I have no idea how to use the img button up top. Sorry, I am just used to being able to attach something. Any help or info would be great.

Are you using a ratio enforcement tracker to get your torrents?

Sorry to say I have no idea what that is. I have always meant to get down and read about utorrent and torrenting to have a better understanding but I have school, work, family. It's hard. If you could explain to me what that is and how to see if I am that would be great.

Sorry to say I have no idea what that is. I have always meant to get down and read about utorrent and torrenting to have a better understanding but I have school' date=' work, family. It's hard. If you could explain to me what that is and how to see if I am that would be great.[/quote']

More commonly called "private tracker"

Although privacy is not exactly high on their agenda.

Sorry to say I have no idea what that is. I have always meant to get down and read about utorrent and torrenting to have a better understanding but I have school' date=' work, family. It's hard. If you could explain to me what that is and how to see if I am that would be great.[/quote']

More commonly called "private tracker"

Although privacy is not exactly high on their agenda.

I haven't configured anything regarding trackers. Should I?

I understand how the dowloading part works in relation to how many people are downloading it but I was under the impression that with 5mbps upload I could seed a ton regardless of who's online.

It's called Peer To Peer because there is no server involved, download AND upload BOTH depend on peers being 'online' and connected.

where

are

you

getting

your

torrents

from?

I typically use Kick ass and Pirate Bay.

I started downloading a movie from pirate bay and added a shot below. It took about an hour for me to get up to 1.5mbps download but the upload hasn't fluctuated much. The upload has gotten up to about 300kbps but why do I think it should be higher given my upload capabilities.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/244296hnt0oo3ww/Untitled1.png

Here is the peer information if it helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0ps5peq5sckzzl/Untitled2.png

The upload has gotten up to about 300kbps but why do I think it should be higher given my upload capabilities.

Your upload speed capability has nothing to do with the download speed capability of peers. Not everyone has a high speed connection like you, plus you do not know what else they are doing such as how many other torrents they are trying to download or how they have their clients configured (or misconfigured as the case may be). Your screenshot shows 505 kBytes/s upload, which is 4 mbits/s which is 80% of your maximum upload speed. More than this would impact your ability to use your Internet connection for anything else.

The upload has gotten up to about 300kbps but why do I think it should be higher given my upload capabilities.

Your upload speed capability has nothing to do with the download speed capability of peers. Not everyone has a high speed connection like you' date=' plus you do not know what else they are doing such as how many other torrents they are trying to download or how they have their clients configured (or misconfigured as the case may be). Your screenshot shows 505 kBytes/s upload, which is 4 mbits/s which is 80% of your maximum upload speed. More than this would impact your ability to use your Internet connection for anything else.[/quote']

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that I could upload as fast and as much as I wanted when I have the complete file. For instance right now I am seeding at about 30kb/s. Shouldn't this be faster?

Is it just hit and miss regarding super fast download and upload speeds? I remember dling game of thrones seasons and they all were dling at 2.5mb/s or more and seeding ant 400+ kb/s. I guess I just expected all torrents to go that way since I upgraded my internet service.

Your upload speed capability has nothing to do with the download speed capability of peers. Not everyone has a high speed connection like you' date=' plus you do not know what else they are doing such as how many other torrents they are trying to download or how they have their clients configured (or misconfigured as the case may be). Your screenshot shows 505 kBytes/s upload, which is 4 mbits/s which is 80% of your maximum upload speed. More than this would impact your ability to use your Internet connection for anything else.[/quote']

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that I could upload as fast and as much as I wanted when I have the complete file. For instance right now I am seeding at about 30kb/s. Shouldn't this be faster?

Is it just hit and miss regarding super fast download and upload speeds? I remember dling game of thrones seasons and they all were dling at 2.5mb/s or more and seeding ant 400+ kb/s. I guess I just expected all torrents to go that way since I upgraded my internet service.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86308715/Untitled.png

shouldn't I be able to upload more than this.

I think I may have misinterpreted what I am trying to say. I am looking for consistency regarding uploads. I have gotten uploads up to 500+kb/s but lately it seems it takes forever to seed anything. Maybe I am not fully understanding the whole seeds and peers aspect. I understand that the more seeders the better the download but uploading still confuses me.

Archived