Why does uTorrent connect with these addresses?

turbovulva

uTorrent 3.3.1 (29812) connects to the following ips/hosts at startup and shutdown:

ec2-54-225-162-0.compute-1.amazonaws.com

ec2-54-243-102-182.compute-1.amazonaws.com

ec2-107-20-161-152.compute-1.amazonaws.com

ec2-107-21-104-59.compute-1.amazonaws.com

ec2-107-22-217-161.compute-1.amazonaws.com

ec2-174-129-220-238.compute-1.amazonaws.com

cdn-208-111-168-6.ord.llnw.net

cdn-208-111-168-7.ord.llnw.net

What purpose do these serve and how to disable them?

amazonaws are 'cloud' servers that are often used as "seedboxes.

linw.net are the content delivery servers for automatic updates.

How do I block them? This occurs when there are no torrents loaded whatsoever. I added them to my hosts file, but it doesn't block them for some reason. Everything else in my hosts file blocks fine. I have updates disabled & no idea why there should be any of the amazonaws connections.

The better question is why not? What is it doing, why, and for what reason? But to answer, it is because I don't know what it is doing, why, and for what reason. Unless it's 100% necessary for utorrent to run correctly, then I would like to find out what it's purpose is and how I can stop it from happening.

There is a simple phrase that often needs repeating when questions like this come up.

"If you had to ask, you don't know what you're doing. If you don't know what you're doing, leave alone"

seriously, trying to micromanage connections, because you feel you should, doesn't work out and never has. And if you didn't have the knowledge to work out what those addresses were for, you certainly don't have the knowledge to start blocking IP's.

In short: Leave them alone.

Nice try, but that's the biggest crock of shit I've ever read. I guess you actually don't know the answer so you "try" to look smart by covering up the fact. Fail.

If I were micromanaging connections there would be a few million more I would need to deal with, which there aren't. I'm simply asking wtf these connections in UTORRENT ALONE are. The connections don't exist in 3.3 & I prefer to know what exactly is happening that wasn't happening previously. Christ, a simple answer without being a smart ass is too difficult for people. I do no streaming, automatic updates, rss feeds, etc. so as far as I'm concerned there is no need for the connections and I simply asked what they are actually for in regards to uTorrent & how to block/prevent them. What is so difficult about providing an actual answer?

What is so difficult about providing an actual answer?
If any of us KNEW the exact bloody answer do you not think it would have BEEN IN THE FIRST REPLY???????????????????????????????????/

We are simply uTorrent USERS just like you are and do NOT have intimate knowledge of the uTorrent code base.

What is so difficult about providing an actual answer?
If any of us KNEW the exact bloody answer do you not think it would have BEEN IN THE FIRST REPLY???????????????????????????????????/

We are simply uTorrent USERS just like you are and do NOT have intimate knowledge of the uTorrent code base.

I can understand if more technical information was requested, but posts like "Why" and "you certainly don't have the knowledge" contribute absolutely NOTHING.

So they connect to those addresses.

But you haven't provided the ports they connect to or looked at the data in wireshark.

They are all port 80. What information from Wireshark would you like to know?

Anyway... 208.111.168.6 & 208.111.168.7 have since disappeared but the others are still there at both startup & showdown of uTorrent. They are blockable by adding bench.utorrent.com to the hosts file, but I would still like to know what purpose(s) they serve.

The WHY is ... They are content delivery servers, which was covered in the second post.

Still connecting after you have "turned off" updates, means that the setting does not turn off the checking for updates, it simply turns off the updates being applied automatically. Which is a conclusion arrived at by adding 2+2 and finding that it makes FOUR.

None of this stuff is brain surgery level you just follow the clues and apply logic. AND if it is not explained in the USER manual (the emphasis being on user), you probably don't even need to know about it!

Archived