Stuck at "finding peers" redux

smalltalkdan

Hi guys,

I know this has come up several times in the past, but it's now become an acute problem for me. Short version:

1. Primary symptom: I download some number of torrents and open them in uTorrent. Somewhere between one and all torrents get stuck with status "finding peers." Up until today it was usually just one, but today there were 4/4 stuck in this state.

2. I'm on v.3.3.2, build 30303, 32-bit.

3. ***NOTHING*** has changed; that is, I have no new hardware, haven't changed my firewall settings, my modem and router are the same, I'm downloading torrent flies from the same place (exclusively TVTorrents) and have installed no new software.

4. Eventually the problem resolves itself, but 'eventually' can be anywhere from 10 minutes to several hours. Deleting the torrent and downloading again doesn't seem to change anything.

One further note/plea/request: I'm a long-time uTorrent user, but I'm not at all familiar with its internal workings. Comments like "Check the trackers are all live for those jobs" will not help me solve the problem, since I neither know what that means nor now to do it. Making me feel like an idiot, or that you know more than me, won't help - I *am* an idiot and you most assuredly do. (this is directed specifically to caiobaby, who seems to believe that this forum is only for people at the expert level.)

If you can help, it is VERY MUCH appreciated. If you can't, please refrain from making comments that don't lead to a solution.

...dan

I am having the same problem as smalltalkdan. I have been using utorrent for years and NEVER had a problem until now. Nothing has changed on my computer, everything is the same as it has always been. Every torrent I try to download is stuck at "connecting to peers" I have read through some topics under troubleshooting with the same problem and again like smalltalkdan, I don't understand everything that is being mentioned. I have uninstalled reinstalled the most updated version. I have also tried to go back to an older version but neither worked. I have torrents trying to download for days that are still at "connecting to peers" Please someone help. This is our ONLY source of entertainment so we are really desperate for help. Thank you so much for your time... orbit1488

UPDATE: based on a suggestion I found in an old post here, I disabled the DHT network (Preferences/BitTorrent - uncheck "Enable DHT Network") and the 'finding peers' problem seems to have vanished. Note that my sample size is very small (only 8 torrents); however, I had this issue with almost every job I created previously, so I'm thinking this may be real progress.

...dan

Something is blocking DHT connection.

By disabling, it will not connect, and therefore you'll not get the message that it can't connect as it's disabled. Kind of logic.

The result however, is the same. It won't be able to use DHT regardless, until you find the source that's blocking it in the first place.

My bet is a firewall/router somewhere.

If you are correct and it's a firewall or router issue, why did it come up all of a sudden, with no changes either in hardware or software? And why does the problem go away after some seemingly random amount of time?

Just to be clear here, also - I wasn't getting a DHT error; I was unable to download for some period of time. Disabling DHT removed the problem.

...dan

I wish I could say that I understood the replies, but unfortunately I don't.

I can't imagine that this is a router bug, since I'm using the same router I have been using for the past year with no issues, and I have had no problems with any other internet connection (including several VPNs).

Further update: Disabling DHT did *not* in fact solve the problem. I currently have 3 torrents in the "Finding peers" state (after 20 minutes). So it's back to the drawing board.

...dan

This issue has been occurring to me since updating as well. I thought maybe it was because of overwriting the install, so I grabbed the latest version, and did a fresh install after a registry clean, still takes hours to connect to peers (including trying the DHT network fix). Same story, no change in router, modem, settings, firewall, or OS of any kind. 

Sadly, as a last troubleshooting method, I installed Tixati to see if it was my connection....all of my torrents connected and started downloading immediately, and fast as ever.

Love uTorrent, but if I can't use it, I can't use it :(

Hope someone finds a fix. 

Hi all you "torrenters" :-)

I've got what seems to be the same problem as "smalltalkdan", and it all started the exact same day (February 10th, 2014) !!

1: None of my torrents (whether "magnet" or downloaded) will connect to peers (just says "Connecting to peers")

2: At the bottom of the program it says  "DHT: Waiting to log in"

3: Under the "Trackers" tab, the DHT says "waiting to announce"

4: The "Peer Discovery" and "Peer Exchange" says "working"

5: All the other "trackers" say "Connection timed out"

Also, when I "check for updates" (under the "help" menu) it says "Unable to contact u Torrent update server"

But.., every time I run the "u Torrent set-up guide", and then run just the test for "network", I get the green check-mark, and it says "Port is open. Your network is properly configured" !!

I'm running u-Torrent version 3.3.2 on 3 different computes, which 2 are running Windows 7 Pro (one being a laptop) and 1 running XP Pro, and all 3 computers started the same problems on the same day !!

I've been using this u-Torrent program VERY successfully and flawlessly for many YEARS now.., and absolutely nothing was changed or added to my 3 computers, router or anything else.

Actually, it all started on the evening of February 10th, when I had my Win7Pro laptop at the local Elks club, as they've got much faster downloads speeds than I do at home.  It was downloading a small (800mb) movie file, but not as fast as it normally does from that location, but did make it to about 75%.

When I got home and tried to finish the download on my laptop, is when I found that I could not download anything.  Then I tried my other 2 computers (with multiple torrents), all with the same negative results...

But.., one other thing I have noticed, is that I no longer get the "hot girly game" offers I used to get in the lower left corner (now just asks me to upgrade to "uTorrentPlus"), and under the top toolbar (now just asks me to get their "video converter").  Those advertisements had started with the latest u-Torrent version I had installed a number of months ago.

I too REALLY like to use to (and have gotten VERY efficient at) using u-Torrent, and TRULY don't what to have to switch to another "client"...!!!

THANKS for any help or suggestions that anyone may have...

Regards,

Eric

I've had this problem too, it was working then when I updated the client (by accident) it just froze on "Finding Peers". I tried various solutions such as CCLEANER but all proved unfruitful... I did find a fix by uninstalling the re-installing uTorrent, the stable newest build, 3.3.2 that fixed it for me... A bit of a pain however as i was a 68% through a 2.5GB download :( but oh well, 'tis working now! 

Hope this helps...

I have this problem as well, i just noticed it a day or 2 ago when i decided to get a torrent and then I noticed (I have super slow internet so i have to switch between major downloads alot). I don't know a ton about utorrent just that i get stuff from it and that its from other people that are tryig to get things as well, i've already tried disabling the DHT and that didnt work. So I'm not sure what to try, all I know is that this is getting REALLY frustrating.

Archived