Video file 'already' on my computer. How?

Poita

I went to eztv and chose a certain recently released 720p video 1.83 gig but almost instantly utorrent gave me a message saying the file is already on my computer. I went to my downloads folder and that particular tv episode was already there. I certainly never clicked on it before.

I had a friend a long time ago (around 1998) who had broadband even back then and he once found a hidden folder with hundreds of videos and other files on his computer. It seems some hacker group was using his computer as a distributed storage place. 

So is this the reason this 1.83 gig tv episode is 'already' on my computer?

rcdpu5r.jpg

Thanks for your acknowledgement that it was a joke...

Lighterning things up sometimes loosens up a somewhat turmoil-filled world.

Anyway if you are positively sure that you or anyone with access to your pc never downloaded that particular tv show then you should think about checking your pc for nasties or like PiusX mentioned go to Eztv forum to see if anyone else had a similar experience as you.

So do you mean just do a basic virus scan? I have Microsoft security essentials always on but stuff can get through. 

Also, the Eztv forums don't have registration any more. 

Also, although I recognised it as a joke, I still didn't understand why it was funny   ;)

If everything turns out ok after a scum scan and you did not download the same video from any other source such as http and no one else used your pc to download that same video and the problem still persists then:

-delete all instances of the video in question on your pc.

-change your torrent download directory in utorrent and see if the problem persists.

If so then you can either uninstall/reinstall utorrent and start with fresh settings and see what happens.

@PiuX well I don't expect you to exactly guess what the cause is. Just want to know if this kind of stuff happens these days. 

@beasly I don't get your joke.

What is the torrent file then if you want the rest to know what your asking about and the site where you got it then? Otherwise were all chasing for chasing nothing down.

So I downloaded that particular mkv torrent (1.83GB, hash= E1ACCF061441FF31F297FF001100EE5129850EE0) using latest utorrent stable and beta to completion with no problem. It did however have 14 hashfails...Then deleted from utorrent and my pc...I then redownloaded as .magnet (just to make sure) with no problem...The torrent is perfectly legit when playing also.

It leads me to believe that you either have some sought of malware/spyware or you or someone that used your pc downloaded that same video previously!

I downloaded and binge watched the whole previous six seasons about a year ago but since then I have totally formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows. 

I live alone so no one else used my computer and I didn't click on the magnet link for the show on eztv before. 

I don't even know how to use RSS feeds/filters. 

It leads me to believe that you either have some sought of malware/spyware!

This is the problem with some torrents they could be malware ladden and it's up to the downloader to know what is malware free and which isn't. And from the sounds of it so far it does look like the verison you got is malware ladden or spyware or poorly created. Might be a good time to delete that file and find another torrent that you can trust more to not have extra packages attached to it. So not all torrents are created equal or malware free some are made that way for a reason and it's not for your benefit.

I downloaded and binge watched the whole previous six seasons about a year ago but since then I have totally formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows. 

I live alone so no one else used my computer and I didn't click on the magnet link for the show on eztv before. 

I don't even know how to use RSS feeds/filters. 

Trust me I tried RSS and had my issues with it so stuck with the standard search for and download the torrents that seems to work better for me.

And from the sounds of it so far it does look like the verison you got is malware ladden or spyware or poorly created.

From the sounds of what?

I downloaded the mentioned torrent that included only a 1.83GB mkv (hash E1ACCF061441FF31F297FF001100EE5129850EE00) and the mkv itself is fine with no spyware....It may be something he picked up on some of these unpopular sites that embed when you visit the site itself...Believe me the mentioned torrent is legit and plays crystal clear (No codecs needed message,no folders,not zipped,not rared, no .txt included).

Well the malware can't be in the downloaded torrent because the program its self was already on my pc and clicking on the torrent for it just revealed it to be already there. 

I guess, knowing the  human psyche that I could have clicked on it and forgot but I don't download many torrents and I would have remembered that because as soon as I download a torrent and get the program I have a desire to watch it. 

I don't know how I would scan for malware in this particular case. I usually only use EZTV, Pirate bay or Kickass. I download the popular ones.

I went to eztv and chose a certain recently released 720p video 1.83 gig but almost instantly utorrent gave me a message saying the file is already on my computer. I went to my downloads folder and that particular tv episode was already there.

What happens when you try to play that same exact tv episode (.mkv with hash E1ACCF061441FF31F297FF001100EE5129850EE00)?....If it does play without a hitch then you must have downloaded it from your pc or remotely!

Archived