Fair's fair!

ou7shined

I'm downloading a file that seems to be stuck at 99.2%. Is there any way to halt sharing on this file that won't affect my golbal down speeds and yet will allow normal up-loading for the other files in my list. I only ask as my ratio on this torrent has so far reached 372.788 :o and my isp is getting cranky with me :rolleyes:, yet I live in hope that one day the guy with the last 0.8% will turn up :/. I know it's against the ethos of P2P but fair's fair, don't you think I've shared enough of this file? I've been into torrent properties and set the max upload rate on this file to 1kB/s but I'm not sure if this will kill the download speed too, in which case I'll never see 100% on it.

µTorrent v1.5.

No. If you can't handle the upload, then just stop the torrent and check once in a while for when a seed pops in. Such an option to completely stop upload without stopping download will NEVER be allowed, and it's NOT fair, whatever your ratio is. Just because you're not getting the piece(s) you need doesn't mean no one's willing to share with you. That's the difference.

Set upload slots on that torrent to 1.

And set upload speed on that torrent to 1 KB/sec.

Hard to get much slower than that without stopping it.

You want to enable DHT and Peer Exchange both to see if they can find additional sources for that 1 torrent.

...but don't be too disappointed if they don't!

Thanks guys. i'm glad to see that most of you got beyond the first line of my post ;)

I've done everything suggested. That just leaves the fake torrent point. I'm not really 100% sure what this is. The file is an mp4 and as such I can view what I've already downloaded. It seems to be what it is meant to be, although the availability is (from what I've seen) steady at 0.991. Is it poss that the original seeder only sent up 99% in the first place?

It is possible that the seeder only got to 99.2% and then removed the torrent, whether with malicious intent or hard drive failure or whatever but if you've been waiting for a long time (which it looks like you have) then it's probably best to cut your losses, delete the file and look for another torrent somewhere else.

If it shows exactly 1 seed...that seed probably has upload issues -- like trying to maintain 100+ torrents at once, and/or has upload speed set really low. It may also be firewalled, and unwilling to connect to any/many peers as well.

If it shows exactly 1 seed...that seed probably has upload issues -- like trying to maintain 100+ torrents at once, and/or has upload speed set really low. It may also be firewalled, and unwilling to connect to any/many peers as well.

or just somehow cheating to appear as a seed (i've had some of those on my initial seeds)

If i get stuck with something similar like ou7shined and there are only peers that use clients with mainline's DHT, I use Azureus to get few Azureus peers through Az DHT and add them to µTorrent using Add Peer. This often helps since after adding few peers, other Azureus users get your IP:port via PEX and you get some more incoming connections from Azureus clients.

However this works ONLY if there are NO Azureus peers visible for you with µTorrent.

Checking the age of the torrent can also help. A very young torrent might not have reached 100% yet (will only have one seed). An old torrent with no seeds could simply had died, eventually a torrent just doesn't have enough people to maintain it.

How can I check the age of it? I can see the date added (which is 26/05/06 but that is just when I restarted the torrent after re-installing XP - in reality I've been with this torrent for over 2 weeks now) and I see nothing obvious in the torrent properties.

Oh and BTW it shows 0 seeds, the amount of peers has dropped but there are new ones daily and even with the throttling suggested by Switeck, and actually stopping the torrent for a while then restarting it now and again, my ratio has exceeded 400. :/ I'm quite prepared to stick it out for now (if only to learn something or set a record :) ) but I've just killed a similar one that had only reached 70% and the ratio had reached the 20's. I like the sensible idea of adding peers from other clients (if I knew how) but as I have no other clients installed and don't plan to add any more for the moment I'll rain check it for now.

Archived