Help a slow starter!

nithig

I have spend quite some time with FAQs and find no help.
It's taken me while to get the hang and I didn't understand the sharing thing and so simply deleted the first couple of items I downloaded (yes, I was a leech) ... so if anyone wants to post a dummies guide I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Right now .. .my Q concerns the "No Incoming Connections" triangle at bottom right. Orange for no incoming and green for working.
AT one stage I turned off my firewall (Zone Alarm) to see if it was blocking .. it isn't, yet it goes from green to orange and I haven't a clue why or what action I can take. Any advice on this?

Once downloaded does the file have to remain in the same place in order for my computer to act as a peer and seed? I prefer to move large files, like movies, from the laptop to a portable HD ... will this prevent the file being helpful to others?

I did try to put movie torrents back into uTorrent but this didn't work. When I went via browse to where the files are the folders showed empty ... even though I know there is a movie there. What am I doing wrong?

ok that's me for now ... appreciate yr imput and info

I have spend quite some time with FAQs and find no help.

It's taken me while to get the hang and I didn't understand the sharing thing and so simply deleted the first couple of items I downloaded (yes, I was a leech) ... so if anyone wants to post a dummies guide I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Right now .. .my Q concerns the "No Incoming Connections" triangle at bottom right. Orange for no incoming and green for working.

AT one stage I turned off my firewall (Zone Alarm) to see if it was blocking .. it isn't, yet it goes from green to orange and I haven't a clue why or what action I can take. Any advice on this?

Once downloaded does the file have to remain in the same place in order for my computer to act as a peer and seed? I prefer to move large files, like movies, from the laptop to a portable HD ... will this prevent the file being helpful to others?

I did try to put movie torrents back into uTorrent but this didn't work. When I went via browse to where the files are the folders showed empty ... even though I know there is a movie there. What am I doing wrong?

ok that's me for now ... appreciate yr imput and info

ZA is a notorious for blocking anything and everything under the sun. Does your O/S not have it's own Firewall? Maybe switch back to the default firewall and see if the problem doesn't go away. ZA from my past experience got in the way more then it helped.

Yes everyone likes to blame ZA but the fact it that it does work (ie the icon goes green and remains ..just not sure what triggers it). But i will try  yr recommendation.

Still would like response to other Qs

eg ..I have left a newly d/loaded file up in uTorrent and left that program open but there are no peers so doesn't appear to be helping anyone.

Yes everyone likes to blame ZA but the fact it that it does work (ie the icon goes green and remains ..just not sure what triggers it). But i will try  yr recommendation.

Still would like response to other Qs

eg ..I have left a newly d/loaded file up in uTorrent and left that program open but there are no peers so doesn't appear to be helping anyone.

No it doesn't not...ZA only has themselves to blame..for blocking to much that is useful...and one has to do so many customization to get it to work just to get internet to load correctly.

I came to this forum for answers, not arguments. I have stated that I will try the recommendation (of using the OS's firewall).
So far I am none the wiser about how to be a constructive uTorrent user ...  you are welcome to

respond to my other questions in the OP.

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm too bad you're not as forthcoming with the assistance asked for as you are with opinions.

Well ... looks like uTorrent is not for me ... shame as I like free-ware and I like the idea of being part of a swarm with others.

c'est la vie!

What a troll....looks like we found one....It's your own loss....c'est la vie ....nithig....we can use less of you...doesn't hurt the rest of us. If you can't figure out how to configure your own computer that becomes your problem and not being computer savvy or reading or understanding about the programs you use is your loss.

Why do you call me a troll? That's a very nasty accusation.
I live alone in a remote situation so this forum is my only help to understand uTorrent.

My OP asks a few straightforward questions such as "Once downloaded does the file have to remain in the same place in order for my computer to act as a peer and seed? I prefer to move large files, like movies, from the laptop to a portable HD ... will this prevent the file being helpful to others?

I did try to put movie torrents back into uTorrent but this didn't work. When I went via browse to where the files are the folders showed empty ... even though I know there is a movie there. What am I doing wrong?"

... all I got from you was your negative opinion about Zone Alarm. Nevertheless I did follow your suggestion and turned ZA completely Off however this did not resolve the problems and also the process has worked ok with ZA on.

Did you address these simple questions?
No you didn't, and now you label me.
So permit me to tell you about projection. This is when someone is in denial about what is inside their own heart so projects it out on to others.
In this case perhaps you are in fact suffering from passive-aggressive syndrome, a bit too holy for yr own good.
What was is yr religion said ... oh yeah "Judge not!"
Plse don't bother replying ... I find you tedious and not at all helpful and after all this is a forum where pple ought to feel free to come for help.

Archived