uTorrent will not shutdown (windows vista)

mag00n

Azureus was doing this too, i was hoping since utorrent specifies vista compatibility it wouldnt

basically, it will not shut down no matter what i do. I will X it out and right click on the tray icon and exit/close and the icon will dissappear. But task manager and my firewall both show it as still running. I try "End Process" in task manager as admin and it just doesnt do anything. And it says its using memory.

Only way to get rid of it is to restart.

Any ideas or fixes? I searched the FAQ....

TIA

• 4 weeks later...

Why is it that the problem is always blamed on somebody else? Uninstall ZoneAlarm because Firon doesn't like it, but ZoneAlarm works fine for many people and there is no conflict with other programs. Uninstall NOD32 when it works fine for many people and there is no conflict with other programs. Perhaps it is uTorrent's responsibility to make itself compatable with other well established software. It seems that many people, including myself, are having this problem so it is not just coincidence. It is time for the powers that be to recognize and acknowledge that there is a problem with uTorrent 1.75 and stop blaming others for it's failure.

By the way, I am running Vista, but am not running any antivirus at the moment, and only the Vista firewall. I have the same problem with uTorrent no shutting down even when I run no firewall.

Sure, but uTorrent is having conflicts with ZoneAlarm, NOD32, etc. And as expressed above, I am not using ZoneAlarm or NOD32 and I still have the same problem. Therefore this particular problem is not with ZoneAlarm or NOD32 but with uTorrent. Again, it is time for uTorrent personnel to accept that there is a problem with their program and look to finding a solution rather than placing the blame on other programs that, at least in this case, are not at fault.

Legal Eagle,

At this exact moment, I am more willing to entertain that you have a virus (or spyware software) on your computer causing your problems. Doesn't mean it's true, but until we see HijackThis! logs (or you do the research on it yourself) then we've got basically no reason to think otherwise.

LOTS of commercial software is just plain utter crap. The head programmer/s got fired, replaced by someone who knows little about what the head programmer did...probably barely knows English...and then the project gets shuffled around between various sub-programmers until there's neither rhyme nor reason to ANY of the code. And sadly this is some of the "better" companies! The results are stuff that seems to run perfectly fine on most systems, and then there's the 1-out-of-1000 oddball computer that invents new errors because of some obscure conflict. :(

You've seen Windows bluescreen...but have you ever seen the screen go plaid?

Zone Alarm to my knowledge isn't really Vista-compatible yet. Vista's still a moving target, and a software firewall has to link into it at its deepest layers to achieve much security. Otherwise, it's like a deadbolt lock on a screen door.

I currently have no virus or spyware on my computer. I shut down my antivirus and firewall to determine if they could be the problem. They are not. I have not disputed that some commercial software is utter crap, however, you have yet failed to accept that in this particular case uTorrent might well be the culprit. As to the person above having the same problem with Azureus, that appears to be an anamoly as it is the first and only time that it has been brought up, however, there are considerable comments from uTorrent users, with a variety of configurations and software, showing that they have this problem. Don't get me wrong, I really like uTorrent, but having been involved in the computer field for many years it does appear that uTorrent is most likely the culprit, or at the very least a major contributor to the problem.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 5:53:55 PM, on 11/14/2007

Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16546)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe

C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe

C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe

C:\Program Files\Yamicsoft\Vista Manager\WallpaperChanger.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe

C:\Program Files\RKS Fax\rksfax_control.exe

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

C:\Windows\System32\verify.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe

C:\Program Files\Uniblue\SpyEraser\SpyEraser.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe

C:\Program Files\RKS Fax\rksfax.exe

C:\Program Files\Nero\PhotoShow 5\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\robotaskbaricon.exe

C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe

C:\Program Files\ePrompter\ePrompter.exe

C:\Program Files\Hamsin Clock\Hamsin Clock.exe

C:\Program Files\FireTrust\MailWasher Pro\MailWasher.exe

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe

C:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster 2\RegistryBooster.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\khalshared\KHALMNPR.EXE

C:\Program Files\TC UP\TOTALCMD.EXE

C:\Users\Master\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

F:\PC\Utilities\HiJack This 2.02.exe

C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit-32\uedit32.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.rr.com/flash/index.cfm?division=31

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {00A6FAF6-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - (no file)

O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: ContributeBHO Class - {074C1DC5-9320-4A9A-947D-C042949C6216} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\/Adobe Contribute CS3/contributeieplugin.dll

O2 - BHO: GetRight IE Download Helper - {31FF080D-12A3-439A-A2EF-4BA95A3148E8} - C:\Program Files\GetRight\xx2gr.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\roboform.dll

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &RoboForm - {724d43a0-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\roboform.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Contribute Toolbar - {517BDDE4-E3A7-4570-B21E-2B52B6139FC7} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\/Adobe Contribute CS3/contributeieplugin.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [itype] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickFinder Scheduler] "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office X3\Programs\QFSCHD130.EXE"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iSUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GBB36X Configure] C:\Windows\system32\JMRaidTool.exe boot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\VistaCodecPack\QT\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe_ID0EYTHM] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Adobe\ADOBEV~1\Server\bin\VERSIO~2.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] "C:\Windows\system32\msconfig.exe" /auto

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RKS Fax Print Controller] "C:\Program Files\RKS Fax\rksfax_control.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Atomic.exe] C:\Program Files\Atomic Clock Sync\Atomic.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NeroCheck.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NBKeyScan] "C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBKeyScan.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows 32-bit DLL Integrity Verifier] verify.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows 32-bit DLL Integrity Verifier] verify.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uniblue SpyEraser] "C:\Program Files\Uniblue\SpyEraser\SpyEraser.exe" -m

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RKS Fax] C:\Program Files\RKS Fax\rksfax.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uniblue RegistryBooster 2] c:\program files\uniblue\registrybooster 2\StartRegistryBooster.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Nero PhotoShow Media Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\Nero\PHOTOS~1\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RoboForm] "C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe"

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - Startup: ePrompter.lnk = C:\Program Files\ePrompter\ePrompter.exe

O4 - Startup: Hamsin Clock.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hamsin Clock\Hamsin Clock.exe

O4 - Startup: MailWasherPro.lnk = C:\Program Files\FireTrust\MailWasher Pro\MailWasher.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = ?

O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Customize Menu - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComCustomizeIEMenu.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O8 - Extra context menu item: Fill Forms - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Open with WordPerfect - C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office X3\Programs\WPLauncher.hta

O8 - Extra context menu item: RoboForm Toolbar - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Save Forms - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_14\bin\npjpi142_14.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_14\bin\npjpi142_14.dll

O9 - Extra button: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html

O9 - Extra button: Save - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Save Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html

O9 - Extra button: RoboForm - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: RoboForm Toolbar - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O13 - Gopher Prefix:

O16 - DPF: {01111C00-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com ActionRunner Class) - http://help.rr.com/Foundrysdccommon/download/tgctlar.cab

O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - http://supportcenter.rr.com/sdccommon/download/tgctlcm.cab

O16 - DPF: {0D6709DD-4ED8-40CA-B459-2757AEEF7BEE} (Dldrv2 Control) - http://download.gigabyte.com.tw/object/Dldrv.ocx

O16 - DPF: {1ED954DE-6B99-41D6-BEAC-93ECA3313BB6} (CheckVer Control) - file:///Y:/CheckVer.ocx

O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} (DivXBrowserPlugin Object) - http://download.divx.com/player/DivXBrowserPlugin.cab

O16 - DPF: {6B75345B-AA36-438A-BBE6-4078B4C6984D} - http://h20270.www2.hp.com/ediags/gmn2/install/HPProductDetection.cab

O16 - DPF: {8A94C905-FF9D-43B6-8708-F0F22D22B1CB} (Wwlaunch Control) - http://www.worldwinner.com/games/shared/wwlaunch.cab

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

O16 - DPF: {E70E3E64-2793-4AEF-8CC8-F1606BE563B0} (WWSpades Control) - http://www.worldwinner.com/games/v47/wwspades/wwspades.cab

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{BB06A8B2-EDB9-45E0-89EB-F598491919F7}: NameServer = 66.75.164.90,66.75.164.89

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Windows DreamScene - {E31004D1-A431-41B8-826F-E902F9D95C81} - C:\Windows\System32\DreamScene.dll

O23 - Service: Adobe Version Cue CS3 - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS3\Server\bin\VersionCueCS3.exe

O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe

O23 - Service: FolderProtectService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Spotmau WinCares 2007\FolderProtectService.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: InstallShield Licensing Service - Macrovision - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield Shared\Service\InstallShield Licensing Service.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 3 - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe

O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe

O23 - Service: QuickBooks Database Manager Service (QBCFMonitorService) - - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBCFMonitorService.exe

O23 - Service: Intuit QuickBooks FCS (QBFCService) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\FCS\Intuit.QuickBooks.FCS.exe

O23 - Service: LiveShare P2P Server 9 (RoxLiveShare9) - Sonic Solutions - (no file)

O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--

End of file - 13887 bytes

The TrueVector service is stopped. uTorrent is currently running (Not Responding)

ZoneAlarm had been uninstalled, but after the service still showed up, I went through and cleaned my registry and hard drive. Now all instances of ZoneAlarm are completely gone, and I will admit that uTorrent does seem to be working properly now, so it appears there was a problem with ZoneAlarm compatability. My appologies for doubting you. If my name was Tom you could call me a doubting Thomas, but it isn't so you can't.

Just a precision on ZoneAlarm. People should be checking their version of ZoneAlarm. The latest 7.0.462.000 which was released on November 20, 2007 now works great with uTorrent. No CPU hogging or sluggishness. Since I've updated from 7.0.337.000 everything was fine. There may be a problem with 7.0.337.000 that keeps saying it is the latest version and so never updates to the new ones.

People who do not have the latest version should download it manually but going to http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/support/zasc/cfu.jsp?dc=78lts&ctry=CA〈=en&lid=db_updates

and then scolling down to the bottom of the page to the "Update Now" section and select their product type to reach the latest download link.

Archived