Starting new files at new pieces

imaguest

I undergo this problem now..

I dl 4 torrents 1file each, 4 gb per file.. 4mb per piece 1 seeder 200 leechers each.

the SAME 4 FILES is available from another torrent (i know coz of the same file size in bytes.. so i presume they r the same)

in that,

I dl 1 torrent 4 files, 4 gb per file.. 4mb per piece good number of seeders and leechers..

As u can imagine in the first case everyone is stuck at say 50% and it is improving at 1% per day.. seems the single seeder has a limited upload speed...

I tried the following when both the torrents are only partially complete...

Swapping the files of one set to another (file of first torrent to the other)and found out that the first file could retrieve all the pieces downloaded by the other torrent.. (say 99 mb per 100mb, i guess the rest is incomplete)

but

when it came to other files.. hash check could validate only a lot lesser number of completed pieces... (say 30 mb per 100 mb)

I figure out that the reason for this is a SHIFT in the chunk of data sampled for hashing at the end of file number one in the multi-file torrent... All the files are put together in a linear fashion and hashed while forming a torrent... and not separately hashed for the sake of same size of each piece...

But if a new file is started at a new piece, this problem will go away...

WHAT'S THE BASIC IDEA OF TORRENTS?

VERIFYING THE UNIQUENESS OF A FILE BY HASHING AND LETTING IT SHARED IN BITS..

BUT THE PRESENT SYSTEM TREATS SEPARATE TORRENTS OF SEPARATE FILES AND A MULTIFILE TORRENT OF THE SAME FILES DIFFERENTLY...

So this is not a inherent problem... It is created by the system itself..

I am sure that if they are made the same, it ll help boost sharing atleast a bit..

I hope I was clear...

And sorry am not sure if it was a bitrtorrent client feature that i m asking for...

Thanks for reading!

Firon, i was amazed by the quick reply the last time i posted...

Increment your fan list by one!

Torrents have no concept of files. It is strictly piece-based. The client presents it to you as file-based, but it really doesn't work that way.

There's really no way to change this except by making a totally new protocol. The only pieces you'll lose is those shared with files you don't have, so you're exaggerating how much data is lost. If the files are incomplete, that's a whole 'nother story.

Archived