Need information for my firewall to allow traffic through port

Aisu Dragoness

Hi!! I just installed utorrent, but I believe that my firewall (McAfee Personal Firewall Plus 7.1.113) is blocking the port that utorrent is using, so I'm trying to configure it to allow traffic through the port.

However, to do this, I need to put it on my "system services" list to make the firewall allow traffic through the port and when I try to do that it asks for the following information:

Enter the program name. (<---utorrent, of course)

Enter the program category.

Enter the incoming and outgoing TCP/IP port information.

Enter the incoming and outgoing UDP port information.

Enter the outgoing UDP port information.

Enter a description of the port.

The only port number I know of is the one under "Preferences --> Network --> Port used for incoming connections", but I don't even know what kind of port that is (whether or not if its a TCP/IP port or UDP port...etc.) Does anyone know where I can get this information???

Also, is fowarding the port mandatory?? Becuase when I tried to test utorrent by downloading something, it still downloaded, but at a very slow pace and the Network Status Light was yellow, saying that I wasn't getting incoming connections. So when I checked my firewall summary, it seems as if it's blocking incoming connections to the port that utorrent is using. So all I have to do is configure my firewall to allow the traffic right?? Is forwarding the port necessary??

Personally, I would rather avoid forwarding the port becuase when I also tried the "utorrent port checker" it said,

"Error! Port 58762 does not appear to be open. Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port." So when I clicked on the link to try to map a port, it said that I needed a static ip address, which I don't want to do becuase then I have to configure ALL the computers on my network to make sure that they use a different ip address, hence I would prefer avoiding the issue.

Any ideas?????

Does anyone know where I can get this information???

TCP and UDP.

Also, is fowarding the port mandatory??

http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html

becuase then I have to configure ALL the computers on my network to make sure that they use a different ip address,

No, you only need to static IP (or DHCP IP Reservation if you're using one of those networks) the machine that is recieving port fowards. Just make sure it's outside of your router's DHCP range.

Hmm....I have NO idea what you mean by TCP and UDP, where do I go for that????

Also, the link was quite helpful, I understand why I need to open my port, however I was wondering: is opening, forwarding, and mapping a port the same thing???? I'm getting those terms mixed up, is there a difference?

"No, you only need to static IP (or DHCP IP Reservation if you're using one of those networks) the machine that is recieving port fowards. Just make sure it's outside of your router's DHCP range."

Ok, I see, but is it really necessary?? Cause I believe only my firewall is the problem, it's blocking the incoming peers from gaining access to the port, so all I have to do is configure my firewall to allow access right?? If that's the case, then I only need the following info, so I can add it onto my firewall's "System Services" list:

Enter the program name. (<---utorrent, of course)

Enter the outgoing UDP port information.

Again, does anyone know where I can get this info??? Please be specific, or else I'll have NO idea what you're talking about......Thanks!

Pick Something

Incoming port from the preferences. All outgoing. Both entries.

BT Listen.

Ok, I see, but is it really necessary??

Yes, port forwarding IS necessary, since the router provides similar functionality to a firewall. If you don't configure your router, it won't work.

I have 2 question about outgoing ports that µTorrent uses:

Is the outgoing port you're allowing in your firewall/s for µTorrent the port of whatever ip you're connecting to or only the "random" outgoing port your ip uses?

And is there (rare?) cases where the outgoing port is the same for both your ip and the ip you're connecting to?

I seem to be having a similar problem. I have done the port forwarding and firewall rule for the incoming port. My issue appears to be with my router since when I set my computer to DMZ UTorrent works just fine. When I check if the listening port is an open port it says it is. I am using a Motorola SBG900 router. I have searched all over and this seems to be the closest topic to my problem.

My problem is that I cannot get anything to download or go past 0%. It looks like I do have the forwarding working, yes. But this is my first time trying utorrent/bittorrent and do not know if there is something i have missed. I've read the guides and faqs and tried searching for the same problem, but this is the closest I've seen so far. If i'm in the wrong thread, then please let me know of one more relevant.

I tried the slackware and openoffice links from the utorrent connection setup guide. The availability?

I click the torrent link, it oens uTorrent and the arrow next to the filename turns red. It doesn't load any list of peers, pieces, etc. The tracker says timed out. Absolutely nothing updates or downloads further. The status stays at downloading, but never goes anywhere. I don't get the triangle at the bottom of the window or anything. The only time it works is when I put my system as the DMZ for my modem/router (Motorolla SBG900). When I DMZ my system everything works smoooooth. I tried changing the fixed port in uTorrent and updating that on the modem's firewall and port forwarding. Rebooted the modem, rebooted the system. It just acts like there's no communication.

After trying that patch and more digging it looks like my firewall (built into the modem) is blocking the ports for the trackers. I had to enable the port for the tracker it was trying to connect to and everything went smoothly. I tried another torrent and had to do the same thing.

My question now is how many different ports will this end up being? Any particular way around enabling every single port as I come upon it?

Archived