Warning: This application requires administrative privileges to run.

bradpitt

Today I downloaded the new uTorrent client version from http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/complete/os/win/track/stable

Version: 3.5.0.43804
Size: 1 733 104 bytes
MD5: 87c83933801f5a5589b8fff7f8691a02

And when trying to start it, it displays the following message:

Warning
This application requires administrative privileges to run. Please login as administrator and try again.

warning.png

All I can do now is to press the OK button, and that's it, i.e. uTorrent doesn't even start.

I must note, that for the last 5 years (or longer) I've never ran uTorrent under administrative account, and it ran just fine.  This is the first version with which I have this problem.  And, damn fcuk, when I downloaded this new version I've deleted the old version, and now can't use bittorrent at all.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Greetings,

Tried to update to 3.5.1_44332 (from 3.4.7_42330) -- simply downloaded new version, copied-over it to usual location (D:\torrent), removed "downloaded" security flag, and started new version with "noinstall" switch (uTorrent.exe /NOINSTALL) -- and UAC prompt (i.e. specify admin password) appeared...

Is it possible to bypass this somehow?

Best regards...

>>> Yes - means you've checked the settings files are there, or you have deducted this from using the older version there?
"yes" means that I checked that files are there

>>> Anyway, if all is files are local there is no need for /noinstall.  It shouldn't do that.

That's why I'm asking, actually... -- when I'm starting it "as usual" (with "/recover" switch) -- UAC prompt appears.

Clipboard-1.jpg

Sounds like Windows UAC related  weirdness... You can make sure if is not still trying to install itself - by renaming the utorrent dir in your %appdata% path (if there is one). Just make sure your download/torrent paths are not located in there... 

Other than that - this is not uTorrnet issue, so you might want to use one of the  Win tricks from here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/8d8e10ec-f438-41b3-aef7-c260fc20efbd/approving-programs-to-run-without-prompting-uac?forum=w7itprosecurity

>>> You can make sure if is not still trying to install itself - by renaming the utorrent dir in your %appdata% path (if there is one).

How this step helps to "make sure" anything? -- I'm pressing "Cancell" in that dialog.

>>> Other than that - this is not uTorrnet issue,

How come? -- "old version" works just fine in that "environment".

>>> you might want to use one of the  Win tricks from here:

In all those "tricks" "run as admin" was allowed -- I have no such intentions...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived