"This program is freeware" won't go away

FriendlyGuy

You know that "neat" little scam warning that you're only supposed to see once when you start µTorrent for the first time? It won't go away for me. And it won't go away since version 1.4. I used to think it was because of third party utilities like TriggerMenuItem, but this time I'm exiting manually and it makes no difference.

I've done clean upgrades, I've even reinstalled Windows since 1.4 and it still doesn't help. I'm starting to think this is the intended behavior. The message doesn't always pop up, just every third time µTorrent is run or so. Is there any way to get rid of it? I can't erase all my settings all the time only to have it show up again.

Sorry about the late reply. I got swamped with work.

The settings are stored in the uTorrent folder under Application Data. Free disk space is at 41% and every other application can access their subfolders in there, so I don't see why µTorrent would be any different. No folders are encrypted, although some have a partial read-only checkbox mark, including uTorrent. I'll clear that and see if it helps.

About indentifying my computer, I can't imagine what that could be. I haven't added any new hardware and I have a static IP address.

About clearing the settings, do you mean erasing settings.dat and settings.dat.old? Will this affect my torrents? Assuming I clear and input all my settings again, could I simply backup my settings.dat and overwrite it if I get the message again?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm,recently I got this same message every now and then.Not disturbing but I got the program as freeware and did not pay anything for it.I only got it with the latest stable version.

It feels like a little nag,easy to click away,yet it's not every time.It occurs random.

I will try clearing the settings file.

"update" It did not help at all.I'm using the .exe version from utorrent,I don't know if this is different from the stand alone package.

Finally, someone else to report this obnoxious nuisance!! I erased both settings.dat and settings.dat.old, had a blast inputting all my settings again, exited via File > Exit, waited 5 minutes, started µTorrent again—no problems—exited. Hours later, the message pops up again! :mad:

Hm,I have the feeling every time I change something in my settings this message pops up the next time I start the client.I could be totally wrong,so I'm not gonna change my speed settings or other things for a while,maybe it helps?

Well, it stayed away,but since yesterday I'm fiddling with the settings again and when I fired up the client today it showed me the message again.This all started when I got a router,I don't want to bother the other users so I frequently cap my upload speed.I can't put my finger on it if it happens with the speed guide setting or preferences in menu.I'm inclined to believe it comes from the speed guide setting,this would make sense since this is the first thing you get to see when running the first time.

• 3 weeks later...

I reported this error a while ago and basically got told the same fix. It did work for a while but now its back to its old tricks and I get it everytime almost. Annoying thing is its on a torrentbox so the only way I tell its happening, is the torrent wont autostart. Is there an older version I can go back to as this never used to be a problem.

read this thread and have to confirm that i have the same problem, the message keeps popping up once in a while...can't seem to find the pattern though. maybe when i switch my internetconnections, whatever.

why can't this be fixed, it seems so trivial yet is extremely annoying. who cares if people payed for it, the damage is done, let it go!

It's not like µTorrent is doing this on purpose. The only reason it's happening is that *something* on YOUR computer is causing µTorrent's check to fail, so there's no point telling anyone/anything to just "let it go" -- if you want to blame someone, why don't you just blame your computer?

Oh, so it's "something" that's causing it. Thank you, that clears it up. There is absolutely nothing that changes about my computer or my connection. Static IP, same DNS servers, no firewall changes, no background antivirus or antispyware scanner, no other programs using µTorrent's data folder. It was said I was the only one with the problem—that's clearly not the case. Now I'm being blamed, when this looks like a clear-cut bug.

All I'm asking—as politely as possible—is if anyone here knows what µTorrent uses to determine whether or not to display that message, please clue us in. Or please ask ludde, seeing how there's no contact info posted.

Edit: Whoops. Forgot to check the About box :) I'll see if I can get a reply.

I never claimed to have the answer as to what that "something" was, so you're welcome for giving you an answer I never intended on giving in the first place, and for clearing everything up for you. I was ONLY responding to Titus, thank you very much.

Edit: And before you tell me that his response relates to the whole thread, and that therefore my response does as well, I don't think everyone in the thread is implying that µTorrent is consciously just not letting go.

So um, doesn't that count as something changing "about [your] computer or [your] connection"?

Note: Don't misconstrue this as me choosing a position as to whether a fix should or should not be made for µTorrent, I'm just pointing out that some people might THINK they have nothing changing in their computer, when in fact something IS changing.

Well,despite the so called fact it must be our computers,I only suffer from it when I change my speed settings in speed guide menu.I do not really mind the occasional popup because now I know why this happens to me.I do find it usefull to have this popup at first install.

The rest is cosmetic and maybe because of this little thread this issue can be resolved in the next version of utorrent.

As for others that don't experience this,it could be most only use the speed guide from menu once and after that just use the preferences from menu.I just found it handy to switch easily from xx/2Mbit to xx/1Mbit so the other computers on my network have some bandwidth also.

Flow what do you want to hear then?

That it is a bug when in fact the majority does NOT experience this behaviour?

Oviously in those single cases where it happends it has something to do with the specifics of that Users PC or their behaviour regarding the operating of that PC.

If someone tells you that simple switching of the speed guide settings does not produce it, then you are not satisfied and you are "done with this"?

Man, go and read how to report a bug then!

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

btw. I changed the CTRL+G settings more then once too and never ever saw the popup message a second time so it's not THAT what causes it and Ultima is right!

Archived