Leaving it on Over-Night

Maskey Mu

• 2 months later...

Most laptops have a decent fan structure unless they're running intensive applications on insulating surfaces. They just feel hot because you're not used to touching something that close to the insides of a computer (some processors, without a fan, will heat to 800c in a matter of seconds) Also, the construction of laptops uses the case as a heatsink, transferring the heat energy outside of the computer, namely into you when you touch it. Bottom line: laptops have plenty of ventilation and cooling.

Make sure you actually need it before spending money on it. Most laptops (at least all major brands) can handle running 24/7 in a normal temperature room even if they are running intensive applications. Besides a laptop, just like a normal PC, will shut down when its CPU threatens to overheat. Unless ur using the patented exploding Sony batteries ofcos :P

They also make really cool cooling units now, I can't remember, but when I was browsing the NEX (Navy shopping store) in Guam (where I purchased my HP laptop), they had these cool "fan trays" (basic description), it was basically a tray, slightly larger than your laptop, that had alternating fans, about 3-6 of them, some blew while others sucked. You would turn it on, slide your laptop over it and left it alone... pretty nifty I thought...

Archived