Can someone tell me how bittorrent works.

rasherb

If there is a bad piece in a torrent, eventually everyone gets all the good pieces (98%) and nobody has a good piece to complete.

Bad pieces often get created by people making up a torrent from a folder with hidden or system files or are created deliberately by anti-P2P groups or their agents in order to "poison" a swarm.

It usually happens when most people hit and run.

Every time the last seeder (the one with everything) stops there is a chance there is a piece that nobody has. If everybody stops the torrent as soon as they finish the download the chance increases.

Especially if there aren't a lot of peers and/or most peers only have a small part (<50%) of the torrent.

Also I think under certain conditions one seeder prefers to upload to someone who has the download almost completed so to create another seeder quick. If both then leave others might be stuck at low completion percentages.

Disclaimer: I'm just going by things I heard. Not by factual knowledge of the protocol. If someone can confirm or oppose the above please do so.

(PS I love the new build in grammar check of Firefox 2)

"Disclaimer: I'm just going by things I heard. Not by factual knowledge of the protocol. If someone can confirm or oppose the above please do so."

'Not by factual knowledge of the protocol' is a fragment.

'If someone can confirm or oppose the above please do so.' needs a comma between 'above' and 'please'

GG FailureFox. :P

Just the last sentence contains two grammar errors that it didn't find :D

Yes hypothetically that is correct. The only way to find out is to restart the torrent.

Chances are too big though. U only have to miss 1 piece and both won't be able to finish.

I stand corrected. Let me rephrase:

(PS I love the new build in spelling check of Firefox 2. The only thing that is striped in this post is the word Firefox itself.)

Archived