Seeding!!! Whats the deal

cwhite123

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Newbie user- and starting to get a handle on how it all works.

I have - or am - a problem!

My share ratio is only 70% which means I am not very cool.

I am trying to rectify this now- well quite literally seeding to catch up- but uploads are always slower etc etc- I have stopped downloading to get back to be a cool person again.

My fear is that if I have been blocked by the cool trackers- is this reversible?

Can someone please advise.

Thanks

You can put uTorrent into seed-only mode so you'll even seed partially-finished downloads...this can really help get your ratio up on new(er) torrents if you have at least 20%.

You can also try raising upload speed closer to upload max, reducing total connections (to like 10-20 per torrent), disabling the extra bandwidth-eaters (DHT, UPnP, Local Peer Discovery, Resolve IPs, high half open rates -- if you're not firewalled, you don't need high half open rates)...and seed a little quicker that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello...I'm new and currently downloading my first torrent for about 3-days now. I'm wondering if there is any chance of helping out the new guys with a slightly higher band width ratio. The energy bill is starting to soar in this bad economy and keeping my computer on for days doesn't help it.

Thanks...:)

Who are you asking?? You help the swarm while you are connected and seeding...

Earth Day!!!! Turn off your monitor when not in use, especially CRTs. Turn off all lights when you leave a room and when you go out. Raise your AC to at least 68°. Unless you run multiple computers, there really are larger sources of electricity waste you can eliminate first before you think "i must turn off my computer"...

My AC is set more like 76-78° F, though my computer room regularly heats up to 85-90° F before I turn an additional fan to blow cool air in. Great in the winter time, hell in the summer time. :(

Doubling-up computer tasks such as running uTorrent on a single computer along with long-running other tasks so only 1 computer needs to be left on for hours/days on end is good.

The fewer hard drives left spinning is probably better too, though uTorrent runs slightly faster if spread across multiple drives. (Only really matters if you have VERY slow hard drives or >1 MegaBYTE/sec internet connection speeds!) I run mine such that it puts a blank black screen up on demand (shortcut icon on desktop)...and even shuts down some/most/all of the video card after about 30 minutes of inactivity.

Many people have a computer in their bedroom and cannot tolerate the sound of it running while they sleep, so there is that time to turn them off at least.

If you're awake and already using your computer, might as well have uTorrent running on startup. :)

Try living in the low desert :P You know what helps.. though not if you've got lots of compys in your room, get better shades. Depending upon your latitude, you get more and more heat energy through windows. Heavy shades/drapes help keep the room equalized, such that, if you keep the room aerated (wrong usage Ithink) at night, say with the window open and a fan on low, room stays cold @ 66-68, and if you put down the drapes and can't see the light real well... that means most likely also the visible and infrared radiation (aka heat) coming into the room is also minimal and you'll be lucky if you see the room heat up to 78. Also remember the actual temperature and our perception of the temperature varies greatly based upon how hot we are. If you have a fan blowing on you no matter how hot it is you'll feel cooler. (I loved ecology/biology... evapo-transpiration rules, as it were)

As far as sounds in your room... I have always equated fans to white noise... never annoyed me. What's wacky is when you're travelling without a sound you normally hear, it's nigh impossible to sleep easy unless you just ran a marathon.

Archived