Help!!!!!!!!!

fucked_up

my best ever rate was with some anime series--some guy in Japan with what had to be a T3 was just up-ending the proverbial dump-truck on everybody. It was like: Wow.

If your download is faster than your upload, someone else's isn't. So don't be surprised if you're not seeing massively faster download speeds than upload speeds.

Assuming Mr. Dumptruck has limited connection slots, the reason he's trading 10-to-1 with me is likely because my 30+k/s upload rate to him is high enough to put me in the percentile worthy of presence among his limited connections. I.e., he'd rather get 1 for 10 from me than 1 for 30 from somebody else.

(My bittorrent experience improved tremendously by upgrading my old 29k/s UL limited DSL service to my present 44k/s UL limited cable service. You don't have to have the fastest retrade rate in the torrent to score frequent connections with the best senders, but it helps to be in the top 20%)

Of course if Mr. Dumptruck is a seed, he no longer cares about reciprocity, and it's possible for everyone in the torrent to have a faster DL than UL rate.

"Mr Dumptruck" is still a rare bird on many of the torrents I've been on. I've seen maybe 30 ips EVER since I started file-sharing on broadband back in 2001 that uploaded to me faster than 100 KiloBYTES/sec. I'm sure there are more out there, but:

1.I either could not download that fast from them at the time due to my current download or upload speed being too high.

2.I failed to notice because the torrent/file downloaded too fast (afk alot)

3.The other end's settings prevent them from typically uploading really fast to just a single person.

The fastest I've ever seen was just over 100 MB from just 1 ip at speeds from 450-720 KiloBYTES/sec. It didn't stay 700+ due to having so many other connections at the time.

On very large torrents, often the superfast connections finish the torrent, hang around only to share back 150-500%, then leave. This means even though they are very fast they are ironically short-lived despite sharing back multiple times what they downloaded.

So unless you test on KNOWN fast torrents (such as the OpenOffice ones), then you don't know if your current slow torrents are slow due to others being slow or you! Also, OpenOffice test torrents only tests your ability to DOWNLOAD quickly...not whether your settings cause more people to reciprocate/share with you.

If your average upload speed PER total upload slots is below 1 KiloBYTE/sec, then chances are you will be uploading to lots of peers that won't return the favor.

If your average upload speed PER total upload slots is over 10 KiloBYTEs/sec, then chances are you will be uploading to lots of peers that can't return the favor as fast! Plus, you won't have nearly as many upload slots to give you more "chances" to get download speed in return.

I do not want to start a war but bitcomet is not that much worse than utorrent. It installs things without permission and shown bad ads but this is all depending on the user.

I also like the features of bitcomet that automates almost everything and it can look for the file over http and ftp for faster speeds.

uTorrent maybe the best but not the easiest. Even the regular bittorrent client has more automation than uTorrent :D.

BitComet = nono. Don't bother wasting your time with it.

While we're dumping on this piece of psuedo-malware, let me add my two cents: I recently tested v0.9 (latest), and even though I specifically instructed it not to replace .torrent associations, it sneakily left a "spam footprint" anyway -- It didn't replace the .torrent file document icons with its "orange ball", but, if you hovered your mouse over one without clicking long enough for the WindowsXP info window to pop up, it had changed "Type: TORRENT file" to "Type: BitComet file". It did NOT remove this association when the application was uninstalled. In fact, the association remained even when the application was uninstalled "aggressively" with "Your Uninstaller!". I had to manually RegEdit seek & destroy all instances of "BitComet" with extreme prejudice, then run Norton WinDoctor to clean up, in order to get rid of it.

Slimy bastards....

BitComet versions in the past are hostile programs that only claimed to be BitTorrent clients...they violated a lot of the basic protocol rules and basically just cheated like a dog. Ironically, cheating sabotages the whole system so it only helps your speed if nobody else is doing it. But if LOTS of people are running the really bad BitComet versions, it destroys torrent swarms and causes torrents to become unseeded (unfinishable) a LOT sooner than they would be otherwise. ...and most of these problems are just because it doesn't manage its upload slots reliably!

"An hour"? Try two to three. I average 140-180 minutes between free DLs on RS, and that's only if I have a alarm set to ding me the moment the delay period is up, otherwise I forget...and of course I have to sleeep, too.

When you add up all those huge delays between downloads, many if not most torrents are faster overall. I.e., a TV series consisting of 26 175mb episodes will take about a week to snarf using free RapidShare (which will break each file up into at least two pieces which you then have to re-merge), but might come in as little as a day over BT.

The only thing RapidShare is really faster than is eMule...but at least with eMule you can just "set & forget".

Archived