FULL Hard Disk

fernandofg

Hi, first of all sorry for my bad english, I'm DL at 3.5mb/s 24 hours at day, I have 1.2tb internal RAID hard disk, I have been DL ''big files'' like DVDs (video st) and big avi's because I like good quality of video and audio. My problem is that after 20 days of DL my 1.2tb HD is almos FULL.

What I have see is when a torrent start to download (for example 4gb DVD files) the first thing happened is the creation of the folder and files, in that moment if I click properties to this folder its says 4gb SIZE but the thing is that the movie is in the begining of his DL, why the folder size is 4gb???. If I have 120 DVDs torrents in the prosses of DL and all of the folders have 3gb to 9gb thats why my HD is almos FULL

Any ideas???.... for example people who knows about ''eMule'' something very similar happens, the files for eMule stored in the hard drive are too big and the way to fix that problem is: right click mouse on the main folder where all the DL are sotored, select advance, and then select compress contents to save space on disk and this will decrease the size files about 80% and fix the problem.

I can't use this feature in uTorrent DL folder because is not available in files like .vob, avi, mpeg, etc... also any kind of compresion will not work on this kind of files.

Can somebody please help me, thanks in advance.

Thanks a lot for your answers

I have done that but still no see more free space in my HD. 3 questions:

1. If I set to true disk.sparse-files where I would see more free space: in the existing DL torrents or the new ones or both?

2. What do you mean about the allocation will change? sorry for my english!

3. If I turn off the ''preallocate files'' I will see more free space in my HD

What I need asap is to lower my HD torrents files size

Regards

Hey Invy nobody say nothing about your knowledge, I only search for an answer... but I say something that bothers you I'm sorry

If you want to replay again let me tell you I just realize now that it was always turned off the ''pre-allocate files'', If this option was tuned off why should I do now?

Regards

2. What do you mean about the allocation will change? sorry for my english!

See the brief description of the Sparse file allocation mode in Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_file

1. If I set to true disk.sparse-files where I would see more free space: in the existing DL torrents or the new ones or both?

Only for the new ones. Alas utorrent doesn't have a feature to rescan already half-downloaded files and mark empty regions.

If you are brave and patient enough - here is a console Sparse File Converter tool created for eMule community which does exactly this missing job - rescans the given file and marks empty regions as sparse.

http://pages.infinit.net/moonligh/eMule/Releases/SparseTest.zip

Actually this was just a demonstrator of Sparse files functionality before it was integrated in eMule, so this tool doesn't support wildcards and proceeds very slowly because of the double hash-cheсk.

Archived