How to: Seed the same files, but differently named?

RiMMER

Hello to everyone!

I'm not a newbie, but I couldn't solve this thing I'm just about to ask.

I've downloaded a torrent - 10 avi files. Then, I've renamed the avi files according to more official naming system, but the files itself remain untouched (crc).

How can I seed them back into the same torrent, whilst having their names unchanged?

eMule can do that for example, it doesn't care what file name you've got, it works by hashes. uTorrent should be capable of that too.

Thank you for your answers!

RiMMER

Emule is more of a general-purpose search-able network -- lots of identical files might have different names.

BitTorrent (µTorrent in particular) is more like a specialized download "accelerator" application -- you are downloading files BY NAME.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

You can rename the files back to their original names and re-seed them...I've done that a lot myself without problems.

BitTorrent (µTorrent in particular) is more like a specialized download "accelerator" application -- you are downloading files BY NAME.

Not correct. In torrent you are also downloading/sharing BY HASH (except that instead of individual file hashes it is an overall hash).

That is why DHT/PEX/LPD, MAGNET links and renaming of single-file downloads are still possible.

Impossibility of file renaming in multi-file downloads is just a misfeature on the client side.

Seconded. Azureus has a feature to rename/retarget individual files in multi-file torrents.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/changelog.php

2.3.0.6 - November 22, 2005

# Core | Ability to rename and redirect files within a torrent

BTW this feature was already requested earlier:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=264180

Renaming files is on the todo for 1.8. Retargetting, I'm not sure.

Archived