craftie2004

How to disable Vista indexing service?

There are three ways to handle this:

1. Navigate to Control Panel, choose "Uninstall a Program" under "Programs"

and then click on "Turn Windows features on or off". There you can disable

the Indexing Service.

2. It is also possible to disable indexing for a certain drive or enable it

only for selected folders. You can do this by changing the Properties of a

drive or folder (right click on drive letter in Windows Explorer).

3. The fasted way is to simply disable the Windows Search service. Run

Services (just type "Services" at the Start Search bar), right click on the

Windows Search service and select "Properties". Then choose "Disabled" for

the start type. Afterwards, you have to stop this service by right clicking

on it and selecting "Stop".

Another link with a large tutorial to disable Vista indexing:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/09/17/disable-and-turn-off-windows-vista-search-indexer-and-indexing-service/

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone, I'm new here and only discovered this thread because I was searching for a solution to my own freezing problem. And I think I finally solved it!

Anyway, I'm using Windows 7 64-bit beta with 4gb DDR2 ram. I bought an Edimax EW-7128 wifi adapter because it was the top rated adapter on newegg, and my old adapter kept disconnecting in World of Warcraft. Unfortunately, this ew-7128 caused my computer to crash in Wow every time I tried to log in.

I googled for answers and found that a lot of WoW players(and utorrent users) had the same problem with 64 bit windows, 4 gigs of ram, and the ralink chip/drivers. I told my cousin this and it turns out his rosewill wifi adapter also used the ralink chipset and caused him to crash frequently. Regardless, he kept tweaking his settings and running memory tests to try to fix this.

After manually setting his memory timings, he was able to run memtest for 6 hours without errors and WoW runs fine. I followed his example and now everything runs fine for me too!(well, as of the last hour, I haven't tested it extensively)

So to get Windows 64+4 gigs of ram+ralink drivers to work perfectly, you need to manually set your memory timings instead of leaving it on Auto.

I'm using 2x2gb Gskill DDR2 ram and my timings are 5-5-5-15 and 1.9volts. You can usually see this on a sticker on the ram stick. You must go into your bios(usually by holding DEL when starting up your PC) and find the memory configuration. Then manually set the timing instead of leaving it Auto. If you don't know how to set things in bios, or don't know anything about memory timings, please google it. There are plenty of informative articles and threads out there. Here's a simple guide from AMD:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ComputingSolutions/0,,30_288_13265_13295%5E13335,00.html

I hope this helps you guys.

I'm new as well to this Forum and Vista64bit. Hello.

I found this Glorious Forum by way of google as well.

Did not find the answer to the question, because I have since forgotten the question.

Way back a couple of pages ago on this thread, the two of you posted process', and daemon came to my mind as to the problem?, little leary about daemon and the 64? I just thought I should try and help by noting that.

Will read more b4 posting a question, cause, It's pretty schooled here.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, i cant believe Ralink STILL has not came up with a fix for this...

People, this problem has NOTHING to do with your computer, its 100% ralink drivers.. Try getting wired up, you will never have a freeze again, its a shame ralink says their product supports 64bit, when clearly it does not

--also, i emailed both rosewill and ralink several times, ..and did not get back ONE response.. this will be the last time i ever get anything ralink/rosewill

• 5 weeks later...

I'm trying the method suggested a bit earlier on this page about memory timings and voltage. I dont see how that should necessarily work, but anything's worth a shot. I'm slamming the hell out of my network card with utorrent, steam downloads, and firefox downloads to see if I get the computer to freeze.

Will report back in a few days with results.

• 1 month later...

the timing trick didn't work for me as as i expected but i gave it a shot since i've seen the solution on another site.

i just got myself a nice black CAT5 cable and all is fine.

i cannot believe this is happening though, major producer, many years already from vista launch, no proper driver....

Me Too

Vista 64 Ultimate

MSI PC60G

It is a card and driver issue not RAM or anything else stated. I have been running my net connection on this same setup on the LAN port for months, decided to move my room around and already had the above card so thought it easier than running the cable once more.

Not sure if it is relevant but I have only had my PC freeze up all together when running another application at the same time as uTorrent. Also though it is the same outcome when doing a Microsoft update and last night I discovered if streaming video - in this case using the Sopcast application.

In each instance I have had a freeze it has been when also attempting to play Football Manager 2009. I watched happily for 25 minutes the Euro U-21's Final last night on Sopcast with nothing running, launched FM2009 at half time and with in 5 minutes was having to do a hard reset on my PC.

It is a wireless card issue not uTorrent as the moment I revert back to a wired connection there is no issue once more.

Interestingly though surfing the net does not cause any problems even when playing FM2009.

I believe it must be a Windows process of somesort which is required by uTorrent or in my case also for streaming and even MS updates which conflicts with the Ralink drivers!?

At the point of running a permenant cable or picking up a Wireless Access Point as I have googled extensively and cannot find a single wireless pci card (possibly 1 or 2 USB adaptors) which would seem to be guaranteed x64 problem free. In fact some distributors point out that manufacturer's OS recomendations when stating Vista should not be assumed 64bit and are generally only 32bit.

How do they expect the world to move on and adopt 64bit when these problems are encountered years on!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks agustin85, I'm at work and will DL and try to install when I get home. Has anyone tried these new drivers for the RaLink chipset, and if so do they work? The update prior to this new one would completely uninstall my RaLink software and then try to reinstall it, but wouldn't change the drivers at all. Is this something similar?

• 1 month later...

Driver 2.1.6.0 has been there for quite some time now. I wonder if anyone actually tried it to see if it fixes the issue? I would have tried it myself, but gave up on RaLink before the driver was released, and installed a TP-Link adapter with an Atheros chipset...

Still, it is an interesting topic to me, seeing as quite a few people use RaLink adapters, and the freeze issues (which don't have anything to do with uTorrent per se) have been reported on several different message boards.

Archived