Existing connections do not reset after ipfilter update.

dj_maxx

BUG Description: After updating ipfilter and reloading it using "Reload IPFilter" menu or Options dialog, existing connections (allowed by old ipfilter, but blacklisted by new ipfilter) do not terminate.

Reproduce: start downloading or seeding with some ipfilter applied or without it, remember one of peer's IPs, add this IP to ipfilter.dat and reload filter. Banned peer will not disconnect.

Affected versions: All known.

I've been told that is how it's designed -- to block NEW connections using ipfilter.dat but not break existing connections if you make changes to ipfilter.dat.

But, I think, this is incorrect.

For example, my ISP has a list of networks (~1700), to/from which traffic is free. Traffic to other (World) networks is very expensive. This network list changes every hour (added new subnets, removed some old, due to routing issues).

So, after reloading filter, some peers may be "World", and they will not disconnect, and will continue consuming of expensive world traffic. Restarting uTorrent after every update is not a solution, as this will interrupt all active transfers and initiate new peer discovery.

This is common situation for Ukraine, Baltic countries, Russia, and maybe some others.

Upd: after hour of testing I discovered, that some banned connections are reset after reloading filter (but not all). After several consecutive reloads all banned connections are broken. Some unstability...

@ switeck

if i remember correctly the non breaking of the conns where changed in the 1.7 version. µT

so µT will break existing connections once you choose "reload IP filter". However if you add a big number of new IPs that are currently connected.

I can confirm that µT sometime "forgets" to kill some after the first time pressing reload. (4 times hitting reloading here was the highest count once to get rid of even the last of about 300 BCs I added once) ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmm... i have tested today version utorrent-1.8-alpha-7593.upx.exe

Bug is still present, behaviour absolutely same.

Initially was 100 peers, after first "Reload IPFilter" 50, after second - 20 ....

After five reloads all peers disappeared.

PS: ipfilter.dat has 860 entries

Hmm... i have tested today version utorrent-1.8-alpha-7593.upx.exe

Bug is still present, behaviour absolutely same.

Initially was 100 peers, after first "Reload IPFilter" 50, after second - 20 ....

After five reloads all peers disappeared.

PS: ipfilter.dat has 860 entries

What does the log say? Does "Loaded ipfilter.dat (N entries)" say the correct number? Is it possible the peer connections that are not dropped were currently being made?

What does the log say? Does "Loaded ipfilter.dat (N entries)" say the correct number?

Yes, the number is correct each time.

Is it possible the peer connections that are not dropped were currently being made?

No, there are established connections too.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also had problems disconnecting more than 5 ips at once using a modified ipfilter.dat in the v1.8 alpha series.

I was doing it as a complex series of tests against ComCast's disruption schemes, I was trying to disconnect seeds when I was in 99.8% "seeding" mode.

• 3 months later...

Archived