program can not access file because its being used by another process

fbi1110

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I havebeen battling with this problem for months and it seems that everyone is suggesting the same stuff: Turn off indexing, unistall this, kill that, etc. Well I have killed every possible process that was not essential to running windows, to no avail. The error still persisted. Finally I decided to experiment and I found the solution: Please let everyone know. The problem is with uTorrent itself. There is a bug in it. Solution: Go to downloads.com and download the latest version of BitTorrent. It looks, feels, and works exactly like uTorrent, but that bug is not present! Every torrent that I downloaded and opened with BitTorrent works fine. You don't have to unistall any programs or kill any processes. The only thing is that BitTorrent only allows you to search for torrents on its own site. Well, I just use uTorrent to search for torrents and then open them with BitTorrent.

Enjoy!

AP

This problem seems to affect people running Windows Vista after some update from Microsoft has been installed. I too was running uTorrent just fine until something was installed that made it come up with this error. I am sure it is not another program because I did not install any new programs since the time I upgraded my computer. The problem is uTorrent/Vista - the solution is BitTorrent - it works fine, everything downloads correctly. If you have better suggestions, please post a specific solution. Until then use BitTorrent.

Sigh. Go to the link in #6, run the program, generate a log, paste it here. It would help us understand why people are facing this problem so we can help if possible. Maybe you have Windows Desktop Search installed on Vista, or the Indexing Service turned on, or Google Desktop Search etc. etc.

If you've switched to BitTorrent and are not interested in uTorrent any longer, then thanks, good-bye, and stop hijacking fbi1110's thread. People come here wanting to troubleshoot uTorrent, so you're not really providing a solution. If you still want, however, you can post the log and we can check it out.

My new pc also suffers from same problem, running XP pro. Reading the above links, i picked up straight away on ROXIO software which was pre-installed. Did the 'ol ctrl Alt Delete and end process on Roxio and.......straight away downloading at super speeds. I'm probably not as experienced as most of you guys & girls, but this seems to have done the trick. Viva la communication! and viva la uTorrent!! :-)

i was having the same problem with the utorrent and vista combination and followed the advice given, it improved but only marginally.

long story short, the problem may persist with macafee users and a port its services runs through: open task manager > services > locate port 3104 > and end that process aswell as the google and roxio issues.

hope this of some use

I had the same problem. I've run the HJ program and the log that came up is as follows:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 2:40:17 PM, on 11/23/2007

Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16546)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe

C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe

C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QLBCTRL.exe

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\HpqToaster.exe

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\OPC\{31011D49-D90C-4da0-878B-78D28AD507AF}\CfgWiz.exe

C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LUAll.exe

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgwb.dat

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe

C:\Windows\system32\Taskmgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=73&bd=Pavilion&pf=laptop

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=73&bd=Pavilion&pf=laptop

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=73&bd=Pavilion&pf=laptop

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1E8A6170-7264-4D0F-BEAE-D42A53123C75} - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.5\NppBho.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {90222687-F593-4738-B738-FBEE9C7B26DF} - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.5\UIBHO.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [synTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QPService] "C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] [ProgramFilesFolder]Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WAWifiMessage] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Launcher] %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Lusetup] C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUSetup.exe -s -a -q -log -version

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Synchronizer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AdobeCollabSync.exe

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O13 - Gopher Prefix:

O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgwlntf - C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\avgwlntf.dll

O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Resident Shield Service (AvgCoreSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgrssvc.exe

O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: CyberLink Background Capture Service (CBCS) (CLCapSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\Kernel\TV\CLCapSvc.exe

O23 - Service: CyberLink Task Scheduler (CTS) (CLSched) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\Kernel\TV\CLSched.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: Com4Qlb - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4Qlb.exe

O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe

O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe

O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\isPwdSvc.exe

O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE

O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe

O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe

O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe

O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--

End of file - 9798 bytes

If anyone could help me figure out what the problem is based on this log, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

okay i have tried every single thing suggested in all previous 5 pages. getting very very tired of having to restart the download every few seconds, only for another .1% to come through. ive even tried using bittorrent and azeureus only for same problem to happen. please say somebody out there has a solution to this. ive also uninstalled GD.

The exact message I'm getting when I don't designate a torrent storage file is

Unable to save .torrent to C:program files\utorrent\torrents

The message I get when i don't designate a torrent storage file is

Torrent error. File: (filename) Access is denied.

In other words, uTorrent doesn't even start downloading any files. I have no idea what is going now. I have uninstalled all the Roxio files on my computer. Is there another thread where this issue has been addressed? If not, does anyone know what issues with Vista would prevent me from using uTorrent?

Archived