That DS flag

gilmoregirls

I get a DS flag from a user I know I should download very fast from. At least I download fast using ABC bittorrent client. But in utorrent I get a DS-flag and download speed suffers. How do I get rid of the snubbing/choking? I have 1 mB/s down, and utorrent is only using 80 kB, so I dont know how I can be "choked".

Update: I closed utorrent and restarted it, and now the user is D again, and I get over 200 kB/s from him. Then after 1 minutes he DS me again. Close, restart utorrent and the procedure repeats itself. I get the torrent fast enough by closing, then opening the program, but why should I have too?

I noticed that reqs column goes up to over 100 for that user, does that have anything to do with it?

Oh, and I have network ok, and it works good on some other torrents I tried, but I just wonder why that one turns DS.

What do all those flags in the Flags column mean?

* D = Currently downloading (interested and not choked)

* d = Your client wants to download, but peer doesn't want to send (interested and choked)

* U = Currently uploading (interested and not choked)

* u = Peer wants your client to upload, but your client doesn't want to (interested and choked)

* O = Optimistic unchoke

* S = Peer is snubbed

* I = Peer is interested

* X = Peer is unchoking your client, but your client is not interested

* ? = Your client unchoked the peer but the peer is not interested

* D = A D as the last flag in the column means that the peer was obtained through DHT.

See this page for definitions of BitTorrent terms

Your client is snubbing him (or it's possible he's snubbing you) for some reason. :P

If someone's downloading from you and you see the S flag it means that you requested data from the client and the client said "ok I'll send it" but never did. When that happens, your client will cancel any requests it made, and stop uploading to him (might take a short while I guess)

Ok, see I tried the same torrent in ABC client (simultaneously), and ABC downloaded 700 Kbyte/s+ from that user with no problems. This makes me think Utorrent has some problems excepting very high speed connections.

This is silly, its always highspeed bitcomet clients that DS me, surely I can't be the only one in here with this problem.

Just wanted to say that today I saw what you are talking about. While getting good speeds, after a short while dropped dramatically after being snubbed by many peers (most of which happened to be BitComet). Seems like snubbing gets a little to aggressive in some clients. Everything goes smooth when the peers speed is slow... Maybe everyone is just greedy.

I only tried ABC and it didn't happen there. I wish people would not use Bitcomet!

Anyway, I still do not understand why they snub me, its not like I have any option to snub them back when they continue uploading from me? As I said, closing, opening utorrent works but only a minute or so.

Actually, I'm having this happen to me right now, and with another utorrent user, as well as Az. No bc client in swarm at all.

I'd originally thought it was my ipfilter, but after removing that, the same ocurred.

(Yes, recently switched BC user here). :|

I'm able to d/l at 6mb, and I have my upstream set at about 80% (so, around 70KB).

Speed starts out, then drops to 0.

Have we any ideas as yet? There seem to be similar posts in here of late.

@Klaus: Because you asked for pieces and it didn't give you any.

I do think this is something worth looking into. I have noticed that the best speeds I get are often from uT clients (when there are enough of them to observe at least). This hints that the "handshaking" is optimized (it works with itself) but not necessarily with the majority of the swarm (Az and bitcoment users). Maybe if uT "talked" a little different to those clients...

Could bt.connect_speed be used to have any influence on all this?

I can confirm µTorrent is afraid of speed :) On my computer and connection the threshold for snubbing a peer/seed seems to be between 220 and 250 kbytes/s. If I start downloading any faster, soon the speed gradually drops to 0 and the peer gets "DS". This means that after a minute or two I am left with only the slow connections. I have seen this happening with peers using BitComet 0.57, 0.58, 0.59, and 0.60. Maybe this also happens with other clients but with BitComet being predominant, it's hard to tell. I have tried both µTorrent 1.2.2 and 1.3 and there is no difference in this respect.

I would appreciate if somebody related to µTorrent development at least states if this is going to be investigated - I believe it can be easily reproduced on a LAN - or not. With this problem, µTorrent is nearly useless for me.

My connection is PPPOE (UTP, fiber), symetric upload/download speeds, public IP address, "Network OK".

Archived