How many just leave TORRENT OPTIONS at default settings?

dudeboyz

If you don't leave them at defaults, would you mind sharing why?

I'm just kinda curious. Utorrent seems to work great for me with the defaults, so I'm wondering if and why others might differ from stock. I use these:

I leave all the other settings in Utorrent to default, like:

NUMBER OF CONNECTIONS

--------------------------------

Global Maximum Number of Connections = 200

Maximum Number of Connected Peers Per Torrent = 50

Number of Upload Slots Per Torrent = 4

Use Additional Upload SLots If Upload Speed < 90% = CHECKED

QUEUE SETTINGS

---------------------

Maximum Number of Active Torrents (upload or download) = 8

Maximum Number of Active Downloads = 5

OTHER SETTINGS

---------------------

Enable Scraping = CHECKED

Pre-allocate Disk Space = UNCHECKED

Enable DHT = CHECKED

Enable DHT For New Torrents = CHECKED

I play around with:

Upload slots per torrent to create seeders faster.

Use additional upload slots option is unchecked cuz of what I said above.

Pre-allocate unchecked for getting select files outta of multiple file torrents.

Enable DHT for new torrents is unchecked cuz I use private sites almost exclusively.

Max number of active torrents and downloads is set higher than normal cuz I have the bandwidth to share/spare.

The settings are not very good for highspeed connections. Using 4 upload slots can be slow sometimes. The same goes for 50 connections per torrent. That's a bit low for higher speeds. But the settings are good for any connections around 256kbps - 2Mbps down and 128kbps - 1Mbps up and I think.

I only change the port number to get through my firewall.

Sounds about right. :)

I was told to set the upload limit to like 80% of my capacity just to avoid bandwidth saturation, and that works, but I'm pretty much with you.

I'm using ports in the 50,000+ range. How about you?

The settings are not very good for highspeed connections. Using 4 upload slots can be slow sometimes. The same goes for 50 connections per torrent. That's a bit low for higher speeds. But the settings are good for any connections around 256kbps - 2Mbps down and 128kbps - 1Mbps up and I think.

So hey, it sounds like I'm good to go with the defaults. I just happen to fall into that range. 1.5m/384k ADSL seems to work great with the default Utorrent config. :)

I wonder if the Utorrent programming folks might give their recommended settings for different speed levels and make it a sticky or something? That'd be cool.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Archived