Download Speed will not rise more than 18 kb/s

Ralfi_KoRn

Strange problem. I have a 512 kb internet. I was always downloading stuff with 60 kb/s speed without any problems. For now. Suddenly speed felt to 18 kb/s and it can't rise. I don't have win xp firewall enabled, I have chanhed setting to xx/512k and then to xx/100Mbit and nothing changed. I have uninstalled COMODO firewall for this, I'm not in NAT zone, I haven't changed settings (any and never) Ports are ok. I have asked for help but nothing :( I have scanned my PC for viruses and spyware and nothing ! I'm downloading torrents with good amount of seeds. I don't know what to write more... :(

HELP !

A few questions first we need to know??

Who is your ISP?

What router or DSL or cable Modem you have?

What version of utorrent do you have?

When did this problem occur??

What O/S are you using?

Download speed it based on what the other side allows through or what bandwidth they have. Have you tried to download openoffice torrent and see how fast your speed is? If you can get a high download speed with openoffice then it surmise that the torrent your downloading is limited in seeds and swarm...

I have a 64kB/s ISP connection and on regular downloads I can get 50kB/s downloads but when I use utorrent, I only get up to and around 30kB/s download even with my speed guide settings choice.

Did you pick a speed guide choice that's faster than your connection's max SUSTAINABLE upload rate?

NOTE: Your upload speed is probably only a tiny fraction of your download speed. So if you have a "512 kb internet", your upload might only be 128 kilobits/sec...or xx/128k in Speed Guide.

My OS is Win XP SP2. Problem occured 2 days ago without any action from my side. My internet is a Radio 512 kb/s. I do not have any router. I always had a xx/512 option in speed guide. Always 60 kb/s downloading, with 12 kb/s uploading limit. I'm using uTorrent 1.7.7. I have tried to download openoffice torrent but still ~16 kb/s

anything else ? :/

Oh dear... 3 h ago I had my donload at 60 kb/s... I was so happy. Then I switched on my Mozilla and my computer restarted... Now I'm back with 16 kb... :( I'm gonna hang myself, and I mean it... So I assume that there is nothing wrong with my ISP and Internet... So there is something with PC... What can I do to check it ? Viruses ? Spyware ?

Upload is not measured there... Download converts your raw speedtest (in Kbps) into usable numbers (KiBps for Windows and uT)... divide by 8 to find it manually. You need to test upload and do the same. I believe you are on a .25Mbit upload connection which would explain the steady upload. Truthfully 16 means it's closer to 128Kbps up, but I'm allowing for the shaping of bittorrent traffic which is becoming more common.

Ok, anyway. Yesterday at midnight I got full download speed 60 kb/s. In the morning after switching PC on I got it again, bot at 11 AM it returned to 16 again :/ well, I called my ISP servive and they said they are not shaping my download. OK, let's say they were lying. Is it possible to cheat the emm 'limit' ? By lets say proxy or something ?

I couldn't tell you. It depends upon what methods they are using. First checks to see if Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent "Forced" encryption and "disallow legacy connections" help at all with increasing throughput. Secondly it's possible a test of the 1.8 in-development version from the Announcements forum self-encapsulated will increase the speed.

The ISP may be telling the truth. If they are a smaller ISP in your local area, they likely do not have the $$ for DPI hardware, or other countermeasures to control their bandwidth usage. However that does not mean the ISPs they peer with (ISP talk for agreements to get the raw bandwidth available by linking their network with larger more established networks) do not. :/ As far as proxy settings.. I've got no idea. But I'm sure there are people on this forum who have the same questions and possible wrote a guide.

I had an internet connection at 2Mbps and my downloading speed was max 170Kb/s.

I have increased my connection at 8Mbps but the downloading speed is the same!!!

I measured my speed at dslreports.com and download is 7000kb/s.

What is the problem for having the same downloading speed???

Could it be the utorrent settings or that i use a simple modem without ethernet?????

Yes, upload speed affects download speed. If you're telling uTorrent to upload faster than your connection allows, then your download speed may fall below 20 KB/sec.

Your upload speed in uTorrent should remain very close to the upload speed max limit you're using in uTorrent, or something's wrong.

Archived